Notification limit

I’m wondering what settings you use to limit notifications based on events. For example, I don’t need to continually be notified each time motion is detected, but maybe every few minutes if it continues. Any idea on this ?

I typically use location mode to determine when notifications are sent. If I’m home and it’s during the day, I don’t usually send many notifications. If it’s night or I’m away, I’ll either send push notifications or, if it’s something significant, I’ll send an SMS. If it’s something critical (e.g., a leak sensor detects water), I turn on a virtual SmartThings switch that triggers IFTTT to call my phone. I use the do-not disturb setting on my phone to allow the IFTTT phone number to ring through my do-not-disturb which turns on automatically at 10:00 each night.

You could also increment a variable to see if I condition is happening continually and send a notification if it happens x number of times.

If you have an example, that would help me…if not, no worries…

Here you go. There’s probably more elegant ways to do what I’m doing but I’m new to WebCoRE and these get the job done. The first one looks at the CO2 level in the house and begins sending SMS messages if they’re becoming elevated. It sends a slightly different message depending on the level. When I initially put this together, I would get the SMS messages as the levels increased into each range and again as the levels decreased into each range. That didn’t make sense so I use variables to keep the SMS messages from being sent as the levels decrease. Better said, the messages go out when the levels go up but don’t as the levels go down. I still needs some work as it doesn’t take into account a situation where levels start to drop but then go up again. And I need to test it more but it should give you some ideas.

This one just looks at the mode and fires if certain sensors open when it’s nighttime or I’m away:

Below is a link to another one (this one contact-based) that allows you to configure how often you want to be reminded of an event, and in a very simple manner directs notifications based on presence. As Mark’s example shows, directing or limiting notifications based on time of day as well as location (presence) is another option you can add to any piston.

Link.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at them.