Presence sensor piston - Commute Times

Thanks. I did go ahead and delete the variable and recreate it. Looks good for the moment. Hopefully this sticks. If it ends up working, this will be a pretty cool piston, I’m sure you could probably integrate something like this with IFTTT to document commute times, or just time from place to a google docs spreadsheet, or like as a time card, etc.

Do you mind sharing your working pistion? I am getting 0 minuets for my commute time, if only that were true…

Yea, I wish my commute times were 0 as well. :slight_smile:
This has worked perfectly for me for more than a week. There are a couple things I’d like to fix, but have not gotten around to yet. If I leave my house, and come back to the house later, I get a commute time. I have not decided if I want to get rid of that or not. Obviosuly if you stop somewhere on the way home that time is included (as it should be), I’ve thought about ways to add some sort of time differential, but again, not really worth it yet. Last bit of info. Feel free to delete the IFTTT line. I’m going to work on sending my details to a google doc or something similiar in the future. As of now, it emails me the variables, start location, end location, and total time.

Awesome, thanks! I changed your IFTTT line to write to a fuel stream. We’ll see how it goes. I also put a restriction on the sms notification, only when current place is different than previous place will it send the text, not sure if that will screw things up.

Cool ideas. I tried to do this several times with just one variable, and the subtracting $now in my text, but for some reason it just kept having issues. It would work for a day or so and then not work. Using the two variables has been solid. I like the idea of the restriction. I might add that or maybe do something different like you’ve been away from current location for xx. when they locations are the same

I liked the idea of the restriction to keep the piston from reporting Home to Home, etc. I chose to do it this way. I left work and came back and did not get a SMS, so the actual commute home will be the final test. :slight_smile:

EDIT: This seems to work as expected. I’ll update later if i find any issues