Sonos + Alexa = ❤︎?!

“The most important thing for you to know is that Sonos does not keep recordings of your voice data. It goes to the voice assistant service (for example Amazon) that you’ve activated on your Sonos system."

Would this mean that Sonos will be using their own embedded microphones to essentially turn the speaker into an Alexa device?!

Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sonos-alexa-amazon-echo-support-3266631

EDIT: Ok, according to this, Sonos will release speakers with Alexa embedded in them. I wonder if older speakers get to spread the joy…

I’ve got about six Sonos speakers and a couple of Echo dots. I got the recent Sonos app update and am now able to control my Sonos speakers with Alexa. Overall it works well with the understanding it’s still in Beta.

I’m enjoying it too. I’ll be happier if they ever update to allow control of playback from local libraries (I know you can initiate from a controller for local then pause, restart using Alexa). When they remove the need to state the room you’re in that will be cool although it will be interesting to see how they accomplish that. Grouping control would be appreciated too.

A little off topic, but for anyone looking to directly trigger pistons with Alexa, click here

According to Sonos, they will be officially opening a developer platform in 2018, and “deliver APIs to any developer who wants to integrate with Sonos. We’ll also be rolling out a certification program so the highest quality experiences will have the ability to earn the “Works with Sonos” badge. You’ll start seeing some exciting home automation options out there with our official badge, marking them as partners and certifying their API integration.”

Here’s hoping this opens the door for @ady624 to expand WebCore’s capability with respect to Sonos products!

The older speakers will be able to integrate with Alexa if you have echo dots, etc. or the Sonos Play One, which has the embedded speaker

They already do.

So is there a way to play text to speech?

I’ll leave this to others who know more about that. Sorry.

Yes, see this post for one example.