Alexa Announcing Nest Doorbell Rings Possible Using Tasker and AutoNotification?

The only time I have ever seen a single notification create double triggers in Tasker is when Tasker’s profile:

AutoNotification Intercept > Config > Action Type > Both

If set to “Both”, then it fires when the notification is created, and again when the notification goes away.

I normally set Action Type to “Created”, so it only fires once when it comes in.

My setup reflects “Created” already. Bizarre indeed.

Maybe it’ll fix itself again…

You can take a peek at the log in Tasker…

Tasker > 3-Dot Menu > More > Run Log > Turn on the switch at the top

Then, you can go ring your doorbell… Touch nothing… Wait for the double Alexa… Check the logs in Tasker. (they are color coded, and most can be long pressed for more options)

If you only get a single Alexa, I would Clear Tasker’s log, and test again.
(and don’t forget to turn off Logging when you are done testing)

Essentially, step one is figuring out why you are getting two triggers.
(Nest, Android, Tasker, or SmartThings, since you already ruled out webCoRE)

The test above will show you what Tasker sees, and is reacting to.

IE: If Tasker only has a single reference, then the issue is likely with the External URL command, or SmartThings. (I am going to bite my tongue at this point :grin:)

After running a few tests, it does seem that Tasker is triggering 2x. What I cannot make sense of is that when looking at my Android, I only see one notification pop up – which is the one that (with your help) I programmed for Tasker to watch out for.

Here is my current Tasker setup.

Your trigger looks legit, so my guess would be the doorbell is sending two notifications, but the Android app for Nest only displays a single one. You could test this by pressing the doorbell… counting to three… and pressing again. I am going to guess that you will only see a single notification on the Android.
(many apps limit the number of notifications that can be displayed at once)

If Nest is indeed sending multiple events, then you may need extra code (either in Tasker or webCoRE) to try to ignore the second event.

It may be easiest in Tasker:

You can set a cool down timer for the profile. This will prevent it from activating again for a given amount of time. Long press on the profile name that triggers the task, click the cog wheel, and choose the appropriate time value. Here it is set to 5 seconds:

pic

Side Note:

I would love if this “cool-down” aspect was added to triggers in the new SmartThings API…
(but only if the end user can adjust the timings independently per device and/or “piston”)

That seems to have fixed the issue. Many thanks (again) for your help. (I’m sure I’ll be back once ST kills EchoSpeaks. Bah.)

Excellent!!

If I wanted Tasker/Autonotification to screen for “[Anyone] is at the door.” as opposed to “Someone’s at the door.” – how would I accomplish that?

So far I have tried modifying the notification text as follows without success:

“* at the door.”
at the door." (no space)
"(
at the door.”) (enabling regex)

Any thoughts?

is at the door

should work as the Profile trigger, not in the Task pane.
(with no space or symbols)
and then UNcheck must match exactly, and do not use regex.

Thanks!

Can you copy and paste the entire line to share?

Also what app are you running?