Bin days idea (UK)

1) Give a description of the problem
I’m a noob to this but I want to make something that will remind me to put the bins out the night before but these days change due to holidays etc but I have the schedule for the year, so can I make some sort of database of these that a piston can check

2) What is the expected behaviour?
So a piston that will check the dates from a database and then respond if it gets taken the next day and Which colour to put out

3) What is happening/not happening?
I don’t even know if it’s possible

Absolutely possible. I have my trash schedule in a Google calendar and pull data from that calendar (and several others in other pistons) that update my ActionTiles pad to let me know trash/recycle days. It will depend on how your database is set up. There are several examples in this forum of what you seek.

Here is a good thread to start with… There are quite a few examples, and lots to learn in that topic.

I’ve just implemented this. Our local authority provide the info on bin collections on their web site. I’ve written a node.js app running on a raspberry pi which accesses this web site. A piston runs daily which calls the routine on the pi, if it returns a bin is to be collected it starts alerting.
This is specific to my local authority & relys on the PI running, but is fully automatic, setup & forget.