Choose random devices

Whoops jumped into the middle of this

hey, we all got to start somewhere :wink:

Thanks to both of you!

sure thing. if you would still like to select 3 random devices from a list of devices, happy to provide a snippet for that as well.

Please do!

using your variables … off the top of my head …

set RandomLight1 = arrayItem( random( count( VacLights ) -1 ), VacLights)
do
   set RandomLight2 = arrayItem( random( count( VacLights ) -1 ), VacLights)
while
   RandomLight2 == RandomLight1
end do
do
   set RandomLight3 = arrayItem( random( count( VacLights ) -1 ), VacLights)
while
   RandomLight3 == RandomLight1
   or
   RandomLight3 == RandomLight2
end do

My "vacation lights" turning on at wrong time

Hi bangali, where can I find array functions? I searched the wiki for arrayItem and nothing found.

probably not added to wiki yet :slight_smile: open up a piston in edit mode and type it in the expression field.

way ahead if you, used it as soon as I saw your post and makes a randomized away lighting routine very simple. I went searching in hopes there was a place I missed with other cool stuff :slight_smile:

sorry, didnt realize that snippet had worked for you … it has been a while :slight_smile:

all the cool stuff is here spread out over this forum.

Yeah I read stuff I’m not necessarily interested in just to discover things lol. What I used from your snippet was the arrayItem function, here’s what I have running now (tested but not used when we were away yet, that comes tomorrow).

cool. sounds like fun :slight_smile:

Ooo this is basically what I was just about to start trying to create myself! Or change another piston to do! Only difference is I was planning to have two devices randomly turned on at any given time and then randomly switched off, whereas this piston does it to one. I think I can achieve my aim by creating a ‘RandomDevice1’ and ‘RandomDevice2’ and getting the piston to check that the two are not the same light before executing the actions…

Will give it a go…

So with the one light at a time logic, I’ve updated the piston to switch off all lights once one or more of us get home and then as a result of the SHM mode changing the piston shouldn’t run anymore anyway.

Will this work?

Yep, that should be simple to do, if you don’t mind share when done? Also, I just purchased a light sensor so that I can change the Time test to be when its dark.

Cool will do. Need to test this over the next few days and then share. I’ve not actually shared a piston before so how do I do that?!

The other bit I’m curious to test is the push notifications - my initial instinct was to put a separate notification when the light is turned on and then a separate one when it’s turned off but that might result in too many notifications!

There’s a camera button under the code of the piston that takes a pic and lets you save it for posting here. I do a push of the on and off time just for testing, once its solid I’ll only have that go to Notices.

Ah OK got it. What’s Notices?

Sorry, Notifications in ST app.

Thought I’d jump in here because @bangali seems to know what’s going on and we’re all working from the same piston. What I’m trying to achieve is to turn a single light on, randomly, only once between sunset and midnight. I’m having a hard time trying to work out the random wait, as I can’t use minutes because in a few months with the time change it will be out of sync. Is there anyway to turn as light on randomly between sunset and midnight?