Communicating with a Router

I would like to have an action on my Asus-Merlin router toggle a SmartThings Virtual Switch so that WebCore can act on it. The specific task I want to do is detect when my VPN goes down, and have WebCore send me an SMS telling me that. Is there an example somewhere of MerlinWRT communicating to SmartThings? I recall that there once was an example of someone using presence detection using pings in the router to detect when certain devices were active but I lost that link. Is there a more recent example of how to do that communication?

If memory serves me right, Merlin firmware allows a HTTP GET request to be sent from the router. (with a bit of scripting) If this is the case, then your router can directly execute a piston without the need for a Simulated Switch.

Maybe try googling:
Merlin router http get

Your real challenge will be programming your router to trigger when the VPN status changes…

That conversation starts here

This alternative method would work well if both of these are true:

• You are ok with an update within 4 minutes of disconnect (it is not an instant alert)
  • When digging thru the router’s config web page, you see a page that lists the VPN status