Linking Garage to ST Home setup

1) Give a description of the problem
My home has ST setup - I want to extend the alarm functions from the home to the garage, using another ST Hub but I want the alarm systems to interact with each other/be able to leave the garage ‘armed’ but be at home and active in the house, with the house disabled.

2) What is the expected behavior?
Alarm On/Off in the garage. Alarm On/Off in the house. alarm boxes all to sound when one area tripped

3) What is happening/not happening?
Nothing yet, concept only.

**4) Post a Green Snapshot of the piston![image|45x37]
I do not have this yet. This is my first post!

5) Attach any logs (From ST IDE and by turning logging level to Full)
(PASTE YOUR LOGS HERE BETWEEN THE MARKS THEN HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THE LOGS SND CLICK ON THE </> ICON TO FORMAT THEM)

Hello all,
Having completed the above statements - I wish to alarm my garage which is some 60 m from my house. It has power and a network signal provided by CAT6 and its own extended WIFI.
Currently I have a Konnected alarm device in the house and one in the garage.
My Zigbee signal has no hope of reaching the garage, so I have bought a 2nd hub to put in the garage, allowing me to add wireless door sensors etc.

I understand through Webcore I can link the two hubs somehow to interact with each other.

For example, if I was at home in the day. Someone could be stealing all my tools in the garage without me knowing this - the home security setting in ST either ARMS or DISARMS.
Unless im in the garage, I want the alarm to be armed, and linked to the house as well as to 12v sirens in the garage itself.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to start please? :smiley:
Thanks,

Jon

I haven’t had to do this since I have an attached garage but I think what you are trying to do should be fairly simple with webcore. I think what you need to do is set up each location separately and set up an alarm piston which would trigger off any of the doors opening. You can create virtual switches to use for ‘arming’ each location. You would need two virtual switches at each location. because webcore you can have multiple instances and locations, and execute pistons at either location you just do like this:

at home:
if home switch changes to on enable home alarm
if home switch changes to off, disable home alarm
if garage switch changes to on, execute garage enable piston
if garage switch changes to off, execute garage disable piston

and then the reverse for the garage.

In your alarm pistons, you simply have the garage alarm piston start the garage alarm and then call a piston in the home instance to start that alarm.

I think you will get the idea. If the device is local, you can simply operate it. If it is remote, you call a piston in the remote instance to activate that device.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.
Is there any guide as to how to do this please - like creating a virtual switch, I’m not sure where to start with this.

Cheers,

Jon

This link should get you on the right path

Edit, after re-reading your post.
with the connected module in the garage, doesnt that let you tap into wired contact sensors, which would get rid of at least the zigbee contact sensor need. I think they have an alarm trigger built into the connected system (or as an addon) that can trigger the garage siren, and since its wifi should be able to add to the main house hub to eliminate the sync need and trigger the main house shm directly

Orig post below…
since you have network/wifi in the garage, i would look into using esp8266 or similar wifi device and this smartapp to use the esp8266 as contact/motion/water/etc sensors in st:

I have some of these setup with multiple arduino sensors each, and use alarm/thermostat wire (4-5 wire) to connect all the sensors to the central esp boards.

This wont need a secondary hub to try and keep in sync and has been pretty reliable for me if you dont mind some diy electronics and some soldering.

Thank you but I’d like to have wireless zigbee devices also in the garage. I’ll take a look at the link though to further my understanding of this technology.

Hi guys,
Thank you for your continured help.

I am a tad confused somewhat.

I’ve looked at other threads and see that althought ST sees each hub as individual - webcore can get them to talk to each other.

I have created two simulated switches, one for the garage one for the home.

But im not sure how to integrate these or ‘call’ on either command.

Any suggestions please?

There has to be a piston created in each webCoRE instance. (one sending, one receiving)
You can find an example here or more information can be found here.

And just to clarify… the webCoRE instances do not technically ‘see’ each other… But one piston can send a command to another piston, so data can be passed in either direction. It just takes planning and being selective as to what data you want to pass and how often.

Thank you for your help.

I’ve had a go at this - I’m not quite sure how you copy the URL or call on the code from the ST. Can someone please check over my attempt? :slight_smile:

/**************************************************************/
/* Alarm1                                                     */
/* Author     : Jonathan Frost                                */
/* Created    : 22/03/2019, 15:52:15                          */
/* Modified   : 22/03/2019, 16:04:11                          */
/* Build      : 1                                             */
/* UI version : v0.3.10a.20190223                             */

execute
if /* #1 */
Outside Alarm Box's alarm is siren /* #4 */
{
when true
Make a GET request to :xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx2:; /* #14 */
}
then
Send SMS notification "Alarm Sounding" to 00123456789; /* #3 */
end if;
end execute;
/* Mambo No. 5                                                */
/* Author     : Jonathan Frost                                */
/* Created    : 22/03/2019, 16:04:32                          */
/* Modified   : 22/03/2019, 16:06:44                          */
/* Build      : 1                                             */
/* UI version : v0.3.10a.20190223                             */

settings
disable automatic piston state;
end settings;

define
string text_message = {random("Hey the post box is open. . . you have mail." , " the post box is open. . . someone may of sent you a love letter" , "post box post box post box. . . you have mail")};
string Alarm_Status = {"[b, blue | Alarm ] [b, red | ON ] [b, purple | at {$time24} ] [b, purple | { "on" }] [b, red | {$day}] [b, purple | of {$monthName}]"};
+ add a new variable
end define;

execute
do
Send PUSH notification "Alarm is ON" and store in Messages;
do
Execute piston ":7dd82e08dd2d07d5483e107ed7ed05a8:" with arguments {text_message};
do
Set piston state to "{Alarm_Status}";
do
Wait 2 seconds;
+ add a new task
+ add a new statement
end execute;

Check out this diagram.

Thank you - do you just copy this entire (very long) URL?

Yes, and in the other piston, do a GET web request to that url

Thanks - how does this look to you please?

Not bad… Although I usually prefer precise triggers instead of conditions.
For example, I would change this block:

temp

to this:

IF AlarmBox's alarm changes to siren
Then
    Make a GET request
    Send SMS notification
END IF

Thanks very much - I’ll make your suggested change and then try and work out how I ‘kick off’ the piston by watching the getting started video on youtube (again again!)

Cheers mate.

Jon