Please Help With creating My First Piston!

1) Give a description of the problem
I need some help on coding some lights before I give up and get out of home automation. I’ve tried to use smartthings to code this but it hasn’t worked and my wife is not happy with the results.

I have smart light switches and motion sensors in our kitchen, living room and outside lighting. I also have a door sensor on the front door.
What I am trying to achieve is:
From 6:00am to 11:00pm when motion is sensed in the kitchen, the kitchen lights turn on and then turn off when there is no motion after 10 minutes. I also would like the light to turn at night when motion is sensed outside and if the door I opened or knocked on. All these triggers would turn off after 10 minutes. Lastly I would like the wall switches and the Smartthings app to override the code for the unique situations and remain in that state until I tell it to return to the automation part. Currently, when I try to turn a light off, either by app or wall switch, the light comes right back on because of the motion. Likewise, there will be situation when I would like the lights to remain on all the time.

From 11:00pm to 6:00am, when motion is sensed (inside or outside or door opened), I would like the lights to come on at 20%(Inside motion sensor) and 100% if the door is opened and turn off after 5 minutes. I would also like the wall switches and app to override the automation until I reset everything.

2) What is the expected behaviour?
On with motion, Off after x time with no motion, dimmer set by time of day, override with switch (On/Off) Multiple sensors trigger lighting

3) What is happening/not happening?
Not sure where to begin.

I’m not at home right now so I can’t completely address this but I would recommend that you divide your tasks into multiple simple pistons - such as getting the motion sensor in the kitchen working with those lights and then work from there with a new piston. Coding and debugging is much easier that way, and this community has an easier time helping you. You can then combine multiple pistons into one if you want.

You will likely need to employ variables and/or SimSwitches to get this portion working.
(I usually over-ride using Simulated Switches since that lets me use my voice or programming to toggle)

There’s a real good example using variables in this thread.

I will take a look at it soon but not home right now.