RGBW lights for each holiday/season

1) Give a description of the problem
I’m working on defining each holiday/season based on their date range as a constant integer Var = {formatDateTime($now,'MMdd' isBetween(1100,1200)};
for example (Thanksgiving). However, I don’t know how to execute the check later in the piston.

2) What is the expected behaviour?
At sunset, set bulbs to a random color based on a list of options provided based on the holiday/season.
I can set up the sunset part, as I currently have another piston doing that, but wanted to make sure I’m setting up the definings correctly first.

I’m trying to keep it as organized as possible, where I define everything at the top.
Then in the execute block, something like, “if Thanksgiving_Date is true, then set Porch to Thanksgiving_Colors”

3) What is happening/not happening?
Just getting started, need guidance.

**4) Post a Green Snapshot of the piston![image|45x37]

Have you seen this thread?

There are some elegant solutions over there that does all of this, plus more

I have not seen that, and that’s awesome and close, but not quite.
Any idea how I could implement where the 3 bulbs pick a color from the list (all unique) and to add the compare in the execute block so it’s all clean?
I’ve decided to use the “only when” but I want the statement to be “Only when> DateTime isBetween Thanksgiving_Date”. I can build the expression, but don’t know how to enter it into webcore… “date(isBetween(Thanksgiving_Date))”
any idea on that?

There are also about a half dozen variations found by searching for “holidays” here.

Usually a good path to take is start with an “Example” piston… (a similar one known to work well)… and then tweak it a bit to fit your house…

No need to recreate the wheel from square one again… Unless you just want practice coding…

That’s actually why I’m doing this project - I want to learn more about webcore coding.
Now the only two issues I’m trying to get right are:

1. The evaluation line to determine if the date is within Thanksgiving_Date range
  2. Set variable for each bulb based on the values I have inside Thanksgiving_Colors, while keeping the define at the top.

I could apply these ideas to other projects I’ve been planning, this is just the most fun one lol.

Okie dokie… I understand completely…

I think that I’ll let someone else answer your questions…

Thank you very much though! I’ll ponder around the other holiday projects. Maybe someone has done a part of what I’m trying to accomplish and that’ll be another thing completed.

I do not want to discourage you… Some of my best pistons I discovered “off the beaten path”… I encourage that type of exploration…

Alternatively, I think that you can get a lot of inspiration if you examine the way other people have done it…

So I’ve been digging around and figured out enough to get it to work. Now I’m working on the random colors, of which I have a feeling I got working, but for some reason it’s always picking dark orange…
Any idea? I’m only testing with Thanksgiving colors for now. once that’s working, I’ll modify the rest.

Nevermind… I guess the $now variable doesn’t work as I thought it would and it was throwing off my test.

Next up is to make the bulbs (Color_Bulb_#) to not be set to the same thing.