Sharing My Pistons

I am using Webcore with Smarthings and I am able to create and backup my own pistons as well as pull down pistons from others on the web (webCoRE (v0.2.102))

Recently a friend of mine installed Webcore and I was going to share a few of my pistons. Everytime I try to load one of his Pistons or he loads one of mine we get the error “Sorry, an error occurred while importing the backup bin”

We expect it to load his code or my code, what we get is just an empty piston.

I am guessing there is something in the setup we both need to do, any help would be much appreciated! Thank You!

Which code are you using? Green snapshot? Red? Scratch panel?

Sorry if I don’t answer this question correctly. When I create a piston I use the gray Create a Blank Piston. When i go to pull his or he pulls mine we use the orange “Restore a piston using a backup code”.

When I get the code I go to the gray area and click to get the code. I just noticed I could take a red and green snapshot is that what I need to use?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, use the green snapshot and the code will be near the top of the piston. :slight_smile:
co-2018-02-07-16-48-14

Awesome thanks for your help everyone!

The scratch panel codes and the red snapshot codes (which are the same) can only be restored by an instance of webCoRE installed on your hub ID… it contains all your device ID’s so you don’t need to go through the setup macro, reassigning devices.

They are the failsafe codes, for use in case your webCoRE instance gets corrupted or deleted (you should write them all down).

The scratch / red (bin) codes can also be recovered from the IDE by going to ‘my locations > ‘installed smartapps’ and mousing over the desired piston.

As @jkp correctly mentioned, the green snapshot codes can be used to restore pistons when swapping hubs or sharing with friends (it’s a good idea to write those down too, in case your hub ever goes pop, in which case the personal bin codes are of no use)

Every time you click the green snapshot button, a new code is generated.

Pistons have stopped working! [daylight savings time issues]

Thank you @Robin for that detailed information that helps a lot!

Along the same lines, so I don’t have to create a new thread… I’ve noticed when creating pistons lately that some default to backup On and others Off. This made me wonder if any existing pistons were set to Not backup, but I couldn’t find any way to see that, let alone change it.

Is it tucked away in the settings somewhere?

If you didn’t turn on automatic backup, you’ll see this at the top of the piston:

Just click the button to turn backup on.

You’ll also see this in the IDE when mousing over the piston instance in ‘installed smartapps’ (no bin code), which is a quick way to check for any pistons without backup:

The backup defaults to off, but remembers the last selection on subsequent new pistons… if you log out that gets reset to the default again.

Robin, I’m trying to locate this list of installed pisatons with the bin code revealed on mouseover - but I’m not getting where to find it - would you mind giving steps cto locates this info?

go to the ‘location’ tab in the IDE
click ‘installed smartapps’
Mouse over each piston instance shown as per the snapshot above