Show a state of a piston in a Tile in ST or AT

1) Give a description of the problem
I have a Smartthings multi purpose sensor which I will attach to my garage door. The purpose is to see when the door is open and when its closed. So I would like a trigger saying that if the X-angle value are <0 the tile should say “Garage door open”, and if the value >=0 the tile should say “Garage door closed”. I think I can get the value correct in WebCore, but I would like to see it in either Smarthings-app as a tile, or in Action tiles.

Has anyone an idea on how to solve that?

Maybe this will work for you? I have not used it personally but I’ve seen a lot of users directed to it.

There are ways to get data back into ST (classic) from webCore. I prefer @Robin’s method of ChangeValue. Let’s you send any string back to ST to view in a tile.

Edit:
@eibyer Jinx

Thinking about AT…it is my understanding that AT doesn’t display custom attributes (like changeValue), but it should understand a simulated garage door. So if you setup a simulated device in ST, webcore could send the open command to that simulated device.

Edit: After thinking about the alternatives, I failed to ask if you tried the multipurpose sensor’s setting for garage door? Seems like measuring x-axis would only allow for a faster notification. Otherwise, using the multipurpose sensor in garage door mode is natively visible in both ST and AT.

Thanks! Looks promesing! But as being rather new at this, what would my first move be. Sure, I have copied the piston and made some changes to it, but it is a long way from having it in my ST or ActionTiles.

Any idea on how to do that?

Thanks

/m

This was going to be my suggestion as well.
“Garage Door” mode is already built-in to those devices, and works quite well.

FWIW.
I have a simulated contact sensor displayed in AT. I changed the icon to show a garage door for open and closed contact.
I check my 2 garage door opener (GoControl) contacts and my one manual garage door contact (through Alarmserver) with a piston. If ANY open events then DO Open else if ALL closed then DO Closed.

Thanks! I just feel a bit stupid now :slight_smile: It works perfect now - with the native support.