$twcweather.alerts Observations

weather

Yes, that’s the trouble. In 15 minutes, a tornado could be on me before I know about it. There was a tornado in Nashville early this morning that killed several and I did not even get a warning.

They really should allow triggers (pushData) based on Weather alerts…
(It could potentially require less pings, with more timely updates)

I am currently running a test for you @Pantheon to see if the AccuWeather Connect plugin allows for alerts to be a trigger.

I will keep you posted.

Confirmed… The push worked!

pic

Edit:

According to WUnderground, that alert was issued at 34 minutes past the hour…
My text message came in at 38 minutes past.

So with TWC you didn’t get the notification for flash flood?
Edit - I guess we could be missing alerts since we are polling every 15 mins whereas AccuWeather is trigger based. Makes sense.

Received a new alert @Pantheon @WCmore

New Alert for database : Special Marine Warning

[adminDistrict:null, adminDistrictCode: , areaId:ANZ335, areaName:Long Island Sound West of New Haven CT/Port Jefferson NY, areaTypeCode:Z, categories:[[category:Met, categoryCode:2]], certainty:Likely, certaintyCode:2, countryCode:US, countryName:UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, detailKey:5e2f376b-8f7c-341b-9771-deef1b34f32f, disclaimer:null, effectiveTimeLocal:2020-03-03T22:34:00-05:00, effectiveTimeLocalTimeZone:EST, eventDescription:Special Marine Warning, eventTrackingNumber:0005, expireTimeLocal:2020-03-03T23:15:00-05:00, expireTimeLocalTimeZone:EST, expireTimeUTC:1583295300, flood:null, headlineText:Special Marine Warning from TUE 10:34 PM EST until TUE 11:15 PM EST, ianaTimeZone:America/New_York, identifier:59fe2cec72628ffb1d21fb487de990c2, issueTimeLocal:2020-03-03T22:34:00-05:00, issueTimeLocalTimeZone:EST, latitude:00.00, longitude:00.00, messageType:New, messageTypeCode:1, officeAdminDistrict:New York, officeAdminDistrictCode:NY, officeCode:KOKX, officeCountryCode:US, officeName:New York City, onsetTimeLocal:2020-03-03T22:34:00-05:00, onsetTimeLocalTimeZone:EST, phenomena:MA, processTimeUTC:1583292895, productIdentifier:SMW, responseTypes:[[responseType:Avoid, responseTypeCode:5]], severity:Severe, severityCode:2, significance:W, source:National Weather Service, urgency:Immediate, urgencyCode:1]

That is correct. My $twcweather is still returning ‘null’ while the alert is still active. :-1:

pic

I tested 4 times over about 5 hours, and the alert was always true for AccuWeather… and always null or null, null for $twcweather.

I think my $twcweather account is crippled until I convert over to a Samsung account…

*sighs*

Well that’s unfortunate. You are the brains behind this whole effort :slightly_smiling_face:

Please explain :slight_smile:

I am still logging into the IDE via the second link here:

pic

… and my SmartThings Classic has a permanent banner telling me to update my account…

This is the only reason that I can think of why I have not gotten a single $twcweather.alert at all for 4 months!

:+1:

Your new piston works well. I got a new alert I hadn’t gotten before. Before this piston, I was getting tired of the same alerts over and over lol

For those who may have missed it, @Pantheon made a nice modification to my original piston that only notifies you of new alerts that we have not seen yet. (LINK)

This will reduce text messages, and make updating the Wiki with new info much easier.

(just keep in mind that his piston will not do anything with 99% of alerts)

An interesting piece on global weather data that is now available to everyone (and Alexa)…IBM GRAF
And I just put a bunch of time and effort into my initial piston to alert me to local severe weather over my Alexa devices…They probably copied my code…HAHAHA, not.

For what it’s worth, I think our programming here in webCoRE will far surpass the Alexa/IBM possibilities.

For example:

• I do not want a verbal alert when I am sleeping.
  • If I am at work, I want the notification to appear on my phone instead.
  • If a new alert comes in, don’t repeat the old alert
  • When an alert expires, do something else

Unfortunately, none of these are possible with IBM GRAF…

For clarification:
I realize that their weather data gathering & predicting may be decent, but if us users do not get any control of the output, then I will never get excited.

Basically, I want to use their weather data, but run it thru my own program to suit me and my family.
(so far, all the links on IBM are geared towards them making money)

Got a new alert today.

New Alert for database : Coastal Flood Advisory]

[adminDistrict:New York, adminDistrictCode:NY, areaId:NYZ179, areaName:Southern Nassau County, areaTypeCode:Z, categories:[[category:Met, categoryCode:2]], certainty:Likely, certaintyCode:2, countryCode:US, countryName:UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, detailKey:4b1dd0d3-11aa-3fb8-8fb0-7c0bcd0f565f, disclaimer:null, effectiveTimeLocal:2020-03-07T05:00:00-05:00, effectiveTimeLocalTimeZone:EST, eventDescription:Coastal Flood Advisory, eventTrackingNumber:0002, expireTimeLocal:2020-03-07T08:00:00-05:00, expireTimeLocalTimeZone:EST, expireTimeUTC:1583586000, flood:null, headlineText:Coastal Flood Advisory from SAT 5:00 AM EST until SAT 8:00 AM EST, ianaTimeZone:America/New_York, identifier:59385bdf6fb6cfceb8b2747dd03614bf, issueTimeLocal:2020-03-06T15:57:00-05:00, issueTimeLocalTimeZone:EST, latitude:40.70, longitude:-73.59, messageType:New, messageTypeCode:1, officeAdminDistrict:New York, officeAdminDistrictCode:NY, officeCode:KOKX, officeCountryCode:US, officeName:New York City, onsetTimeLocal:2020-03-07T05:00:00-05:00, onsetTimeLocalTimeZone:EST, phenomena:CF, processTimeUTC:1583528253, productIdentifier:CFW, responseTypes:[[responseType:Monitor, responseTypeCode:6]], severity:Minor, severityCode:4, significance:Y, source:National Weather Service, urgency:Expected, urgencyCode:2]]

Did you use my piston and did it work properly?

Yep I’ve been using it for a couple of days. Works great.

The only thing is I get repeated texts for the same alert. I’ll have to take a look to see if it can only text once per unique alert.

@Koyfam, now that you’ve posted that data here, you can add:

, [Coastal Flood Advisory]

to the {Alert_Data} variable up top. Then, you will no longer get a text for that particular weather alert.

I will update the Wiki in the near future.

@Koyfam, yes, I probably should have mentioned that. I have been waiting for @WCmore to “officially” add each new alert to our wiki before I add it to the Alert_Data list. But certainly you can update that data in your own piston and thus avoid repeat alerts.