Using a variable after $response

1) Give a description of the problem
I have created a static JSON file to store data locally, and I plan on using webCoRE to pull that data. I am having no problem accessing or parsing that data, but for some reason, I cannot seem to use a variable in my response line. I must have tried 15 different variations.

Works:

$response.2019[0]

Fails:

define integer year = 2019
$response.{year}[0]

I would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

In the screenshot, the last two variables populate perfectly, but “esDays” never does if I try to use a variable. Hopefully, I just have the wrong syntax.

GET request: how to read variables with periods in the name?

Try escaping {}

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tested 5 variations of escape characters, and all have failed…

Grrr… This sounds so simple.

LOL, just throwing stuff out at you to see which ones you haven’t tried yet…

What about setting the variable and concatenating as an expression… $response + year + .[0].eqspr_dayofyear

That was one I hadn’t tried yet… Unfortunately, it failed both with and without the curly brackets around year.

I have even searched the forums for “$response.” and could not find a single example of a variable there.
(although the search does not search the text in green snapshots, so I am still optimistic)

Here is an example with $json; it should work the same with $response[year][0]. What you cannot do is include expressions inside the indexing brackets - just individual variables or literal text. In other words, if you wanted to access $response[year - 1][0] you would need to store the expression year - 1 to a variable like lastYear and access the value with $response[lastYear][0]

Thanks for the suggestions, @ipaterson. Unfortunately, I could not get either method to work:
$response[year][0] .
$response.[year][0]

The only one that works is without a variable:
$response.2019[0] .

The first “Set variable” below is still broken, but the second one works.

temp

What am I doing wrong?

Hrm I can’t check in depth right now but maybe try the year as a string rather than an integer?

I played with it earlier also, making the year a string didn’t help.

Edit: As I was going to stop messing with it for the day… this one worked.

Hot-diggity! Let me edit my JSON to remove the year array so I can test without the [0].

I apologize for the delayed response…
(the rabbit hole went deep with this one)

When I edited the JSON to remove the year array, then I was successful using a variable with $response.

temp

(the names have all changed due to all the edits on my end, but the concept remains)