Using Alexa to sound an alarm (in 2020)

Apologies if this is a dumb question but is ‘Echo Speaks’ the preferred or only way to interface webCoRE to Alexa? I’d like to make announcements to an echo speaker (nothing complex right now) but don’t know how or where to get started in 2020…

I’ve seen tutorials but they often skip over the basics of how to do this… I have an existing piston that I’d like to augment to have a dog bark!

Thanks, Ian

Here is the method that I use… It’s been working like a champ for the past 23 months…

It works great for text-to-speech, for sound effects, as well as sending commands to Alexa. (either native commands, or any specialized command for any of the Skills)

Thanks WCmore, I was hoping to make it a little simpler hence my generic question. I did see your thread when looking around but thought it a little too detailed for my needs. I have an Android phone but prefer not to use it as it’s the ‘home’ phone.

Thanks for helping (as always).

I admit, the initial setup may take 20-30 minutes, but all future coding takes literally 2 seconds per piston.

As far as which Android device, even an Android 5 years old would work, as well as most tablets. (I recently picked up an pre-paid Android at Dollar General for $10, and simply did not activate the SIM card)

Just throwing ideas out there…

Let me know in that other thread if you ever change your mind. I’d be glad to help you set it up.

Edit:

A device 5 years old may have a second or two of lag, but we cannot blame webCoRE for that.

Thank you. I’m really grateful for your help.

Please don’t let my long post scare you off… I tend to be analytical (and verbose) when posting here, LOL

I’m the same… I was just hoping for the minimal of interactions, the more I do the more I have to remember… (That’s an issue…)

For what it’s worth, once it is setup (using my detailed instructions), you will only have to remember one single character for all future uses. Adding that character to the beginning of any notification, will turn that notification into a verbal alert.

No Hardly any memory required, LOL

Pro Tip:

If you put that one command into your webCoRE clipboard, then there will be nothing to remember for future programming.

That’s why I generally try to leave notes back in threads where I’ve figured things out… Paying it forward so to speak! For this exercise I’m trying to use an echo speaker in a barn, if somebody opens the door or triggers a motion sensor late at night then I want to make some noise… It’s a smart barn so to speak!

I love it!!

We need more “old meets new” innovations!!

Oh I could tell some stories!..

With all due respect to my friend @WCmore, I use Echo Speaks all of the time. It is quite easy to set up. Once the ES app installs all of the Echo devices that you want, you add them to the webcore app within SmartThings and BOOM! You can use them in webcore with LOTS of commands. Yes, you have an extra step that is going through the cloud, and sometimes internet latency can interfere. But most of the time, it works very well.

EDIT : Now that I think about it, you have to control you phone through Tasker, so maybe not an extra internet step…

No hard feelings… Different strokes, for different folks… :sunglasses:

Tasker is acting like a Device Handler, of sorts… Once webCoRE sends the notification, everything else happens locally (with only a single trigger), so the response times are very quick.

(IE: before my door is fully opened, I hear my greeting)

Here are a few other benefits to my method:

• It literally cannot break. (unless you log out of SmartThings or bring out the sledgehammer) On the other hand, EchoSpeaks requires three competitive companies to play nice with each other, or stuff stops working.
  • It can play any sound effect or ringtone from your phone
  • You can choose male or female voice
  • You can choose alternative languages/dialects (eng, aus, gbr and many others)
  • You can change pitch & speed of the voice
  • It can send obscure commands to any Alexa Skills (this is a HUGE deal to future-proof it, (instantly) with no extra coding required)
  • It can run an app directly on that Android (with extra parameters, if desired)

… and a few cosmetic options:

• You can add popup displays during the event
  • It can make your Android vibrate, if you like
  • It can change the LED color (if your phone allows it)
  • It can change the Android’s wallpaper at the time of the message
  • and so many more…

The choice is totally yours, but to me, there is no comparison between the two…

you don’t say that LOL

Guilty, as charged, LOL

In all honesty though, those are two things that are important (yet hard to find) in tech support…
(Perhaps even more so for pioneering tech)

I wish that *I* had someone (like me) to consult in moments of confusion, LOL

joke aside… because of you my house works much better…

Thanks Ike… That means a lot to me.

You definitely threw some challenging curve balls at me, but I loved every minute of it!!
(There’s still 2 in progress, but I believe we are “batting 1000” with all completed pistons)

Ditto.

I should start more posts with dumb questions :-). In my opinion this community (including WCmore++) has been incredibly helpful. What sucks from my perspective is asking for advice and then politely ignoring the advice. I never want to come across as being rude or unappreciative; I just don’t want to leave a device in the barn! I do like having my mind exposed to new ideas.

Soo… A big thank you to all of you.

Any comments Pantheon on installing Echo Speaks? I found this. Is this a good way to proceed?

Thanks.