Abort if turned on/off in ST new app

I have a piston which controls the heating in my house. It is very simple as it checks the heat from thermostat and compares it to a configured ideal temperature. If the reported temperature is below that configured temperature it will turn on a Sonoff switch connected to the heat actuator.

What I want to do additionally is to have the option of turning on/off the heating manually by switching the Sonoff switch on/off from within the ST app.

As my piston checks every 5 minutes what the temperature is, it will override my ST override.

So is there a way for me to know in Webcore if a Sonoff switch was turned on or off manually and not by the piston?

Please note that I am not a programmer, but have basic understanding of programming - with focus on basic :smiley:

If I’ve understood your requirements, I think this can be achieved as follows.
I’m not fully aware of the sonoff capabilities, but from what I know, I’m assuming webcore can not receive an event when the sonoff is operated manually?

Create a virtual switch to turn the heating on/off
Within your existing piston add code to turn on the sonoff switch when the VS is turned on. Also set a variable e.g manualOverride =true
Write similar code for the VS being turned off.
Your existing code can then be ignored using an if statement if the manualOverride is true

Thank you Paul, this sounds logical.