Adrian presenting on webCoRE

But in the video he mentioned that Webcore is open source etc,
Does that mean it will be down or we can still use the same thing but without additional upgrades??

No, it would be similar to what we have now. webCoRE would simply serve as a UI for the new API.

Eventually, SmartThings is going to deprecate the groovy platform upon which the current version of webCoRE relies. That means the old webCoRE will cease to function.

Did you see Adrian use the new webCoRE? It looks identical to what we have now. But that is why we need to hear from the horses mouth, are they going to be able to flash our hubs and have both architectures running at the same time as I presume, but thinking about it is this even possible, or will they make webCoRE 1.0 redundant on day one :scream:

Yes i didā€¦ but since im not familiar with some of the coding terminology (even the word groovy is a news to me LOL) i got confused:) but now its more clear

Thank you so much for the good news:) iā€™m good with something similarā€¦ just disnt want to learn coding syntax from scratchā€¦

This isnā€™t quite right. Adrian and the SmartThings team developed the Rules API. Then Adrian forked webCoRE as a proof of concept for the Rules API. He didnā€™t develop a useable webCoRE 2.0, only a proof of concept. Ian and team will still need to develop the full blown new webCoRE that uses whatever functions the Rules API offers.

I would not say ā€œforkedā€ is the correct term because itā€™s 2 different languages hence why itā€™s not an exact copy and some features are still missing, I would say he redesigned and developed a completely new webCoRE from the ground up using the new Rules Api.

Yeah, it definitely is a totally different backend. Just using the same terminology Adrian did:

This is correct, SmartThings forked the ady624/webCoRE repository that we use to install smart apps in the IDE (created an independent copy of it). The Groovy smart apps are irrelevant to the Rules API which is why this doesnā€™t seem to make sense, but the repository also contains the code for the dashboard.webcore.co web site. That portion of the code is what was edited for this demo.

SmartThings needed a demo on a deadline for SDC so they werenā€™t expecting volunteers to transition the dashboard to work with the Rules API. Hard to say whether it is usable or not as a foundation for building this new webCoRE as ST expands the Rules APIā€”I suspect a lot of code had to be ripped outā€”but it seems great for testing basic rules.

@Alwas So you are saying it only requires 3 super heroes, not necessarily ALL of the super friends.

Us mere mortals await patiently huddled in our smart homes. :anguished:

They know who they are, the three brightest brains, separately they are like us, mere mortals, but together, they are The Triad, they can achieve what canā€™t yet be comprehended, our hopeā€™s rest on their shoulders, as soon as Obi-Wan Kanobi gives the word, they will don their capes, and deliver us to the Promised Land.

We may need them all!
Step-Into-Reading-Books