I’ve had a lot of problems with devices in the new app since Tuesday morning in the UK (which was hub update day, but that didn’t start until about 4 pm UK time). It is always the same devices and they all behave the same way at the same time, which is:
- The problem device tiles all show ‘Offline’, ‘Getting status …’ (indefinitely), or a blank status. Which one you see depends on what you’ve done to try and clear the problem.
- Sometimes you can’t open the devices at all.
- Usually you can open the devices and they basically work fine. If the device genuinely is offline you get a toast message come up. Except …
- If the device has capabilities that cause shortcuts to be offered, clicking on those shortcuts opens up blank screen, toasts an error, and returns.
- If you try to create an Automation and add a device status condition, none of the problem devices show. This is the same problem causing the previous issue.
- The devices work fine seemingly everywhere else.
The penny finally dropped this morning about what the devices that didn’t work properly had in common, and what the ones that did work had in common. The answer is:
- The devices that have problems should be showing the default status, which is the device health i.e. Offline or Online (I think they may say Connected rather than Online, but I haven’t seen one since Monday …).
- The devices that are working OK all use another capability attribute as their status, such as switch, motion or presence.
Coincidentally I’ve been messing around with device profiles on these device with mixed results. When I twigged what was going on I tweaked the device handlers to use something less experimental and all bar one device started behaving. The only one being awkward is a temperature sensor as I’ve not hit on the way to change the tile status attribute for that one (at least not without compromising the device page).