Any thoughts on minimal control using a non-smart phone?

1) Give a description of the problem
wife has smartphone. set up SmartThings and webCoRE using it. Husband does not have smartphone. Any ideas on setting home/away and maybe a bit of on/off stuff using texts or something like that?

(I’m already using webCoRE to send him texts when doors are open.)

If his phone has the ability to view HTML documents, you can create a HTML file with a bunch of links to different piston’s URL. Once you save the HTML file to his phone, he can bookmark that local file, and click on any link to activate the associated piston.

• This method is free, but will not give feedback…

An alternative is to get ActionTiles for his phone. Again, this assumes he can access a normal web browser on his phone.

• ActionTiles costs about $30, but shows nearly instant results after toggling a button

There is also the option of buying a SmartThings arrival sensor or tracker…

There are also some devices out there that can attach to his car’s OBD port to report location. Keep in mind that this obviously won’t work if he goes out for a walk, or alternates between vehicles…

You may have already seen this link, but for others finding this thread later, here’s a reference page describing some applications for the External URL.

I hadn’t thought about ActionTiles only because his phone is a flip phone and viewing web pages on it is a study in frustration.
The HTML idea could work well, though, as you suggest using the External URL.
He’s already vetoed an arrival sensor.

Of course, for total (non-intrusive) control, you can create a Simulated Switch, and use that as his “Presence Sensor”. He can walk in the door, and either push a button, or say, “Alexa, I am home”, or even recline in his favorite chair. All of which turns on his SimSwitch. (meaning he is home)

When he leaves, he can do the opposite, effectively making a manual Presence Sensor.

Obviously, we can forget sometimes, so I will usually also program based on the habits of the individual.
(IE: If he relaxes in his chair when he first gets home, then that can flip the switch. A certain closet door opening can also be good for this. It depends on the individual’s patterns)

That’s a fine idea. I was nibbling around the edges of that one, but hadn’t quite worked it out yet. I wonder if he hangs up his keys…

There are a billion ways to get that data into SmartThings. You know him best. What does he do consistently within the first ten minutes of arriving at home?
(and ask yourself the same question about when he leaves)

Random idea fun :slight_smile: you could use a ST multi…
-make a dial that rotates, the angle picks between modes: home, away, sleeping, ‘leave me alone’
-use the multi to make a cube controller, label the sides appropriately
-for the keychain idea, you could put magnet on keychain and contact sensor near hook

For the webCoRE url … wish we could define a URLreturn variable, then return minimal html with mode and link to change mode.

Depending how the phone SMS behaves, you could do this with URL embedded in SMS. I have URL to SharpTools dashboard in my SMS alarm so I can quickly jump to it. For your example, the Home message would link to webCoRE away piston. Click the url would set away and send message with link to home piston

…and for those who like a visual
(a baseball cube works great)