Arlo Offline Notification/restart hub

camera

1) Give a description of the problem
When I lose power or the internet is down and returns to normal state, not all of my ARLO cameras come back online and it requires me to restart the ARLO hub.

2) What is the expected behaviour?
When an Arlo changes away from ONLINE it would alert me. Optimally I could get it to restart the hub if it has been offline for more than 15 minutes.

3) What is happening/not happening?
Looking to see if anyone knows a way to send the restart command to the hub after x minutes of camera offline.

I havenā€™t seen any updates but wanted to provide the piston I use for alert if the camera stays off-line.

Does ā€œI9JJā€ actually trigger?!?
(there are no lightning bolts in your margin)

Usually, attributes at the bottom of the list (highlighted below) can be a condition, but not a triggerā€¦

pic

I am curiousā€¦ Do you see the following message at the top of the piston? (not in edit mode)

Here is the notification (Iā€™m currently charging the batteriesā€¦)

How curious, I didnā€™t think the attributes at the bottom of the list could be used as triggers either, so I copied the piston and added a test, unplugged the cameras and it worked!

This has helped, because the cameras didnā€™t seem to work reliably on my main ā€œOffline pistonā€.

I wasnā€™t aware of that. Iā€™d expect webCoRE to assume any attribute could be used as a trigger, in that it would be possible to subscribe to a change event. That is, after all, how attribute values are set (in the ā€˜classicā€™ environment at least ā€¦).

$status is an exception, because that is just something invented by webCoRE in order to make it easy to check the device status (it is device.getStatus() in Groovy). However even that can be used as a trigger and so subscribed to, there just arenā€™t any such events to make it useful.

I just assumed that the attributes at the bottom are either custom attributes, or they come from capabilities that webCoRE hasnā€™t been educated about specifically. There are four attributes associated with the Health Check capability that get listed here. That is an official but undocumented capability. Similarly there is a capability Air Quality Sensor, but if it is used in a device handler webCore lists the attribute airQuality at the bottom of the list with the other strays.

Iā€™m not aware of any simple solution. Fudges on the other hand ā€¦

SmartThings seem to consider power cycling as a legitimate technique for restarting the hub. So that is something you could contrive by going out of band with smart plugs that can be controlled by a URL outside of SmartThings (IFTTT is presumably a possibility), or by other kit designed for the job.

On the other hand, sometimes it is suggested that you reboot the hub from the IDE, as that is apparently not quite the same thing as power cycling. There is a URL to do that but it requires that you are authenticated and I canā€™t remember if you need to confirm the action too. Presumably this is all something that it might be possible to make work if you tried really hard.

Heā€™s asking for a way to automate rebooting the Arlo hub by WebCoRE without using yet another smart plug.

At least this makes me aware of the cameraā€™s being off and I can go into the Arlo app and restart hub.