Chime not acting as it should

1) Give a description of the problem
No matter what, if the door is closed the chime will activate

2) What is the expected behavior?
The chime should activate it the front door has not been opened or closed in 2 minutes, and the door is shut

3) What is happening/not happening?
The chime activates if the door was just opened or closed within 2 minutes.

Basically, it’s a battery operated chime and it goes off way to many times, trying to mitigate that. The batteries are NOT cheap :slight_smile:

If you are referring to one door, then you may want something like this:

IF Front Door has stayed closed for 2 minutes
Then
    IF Location is any of ...
        Then do stuff
    END IF
END IF

What about the back porch mat that senses the cat? Where should that go?

I have no idea. This is the first you have mentioned that. What sort of logic do you want to happen when someone steps on the mat?

This may help…

Oh. This is a double trigger, so I would expect issues with this one.

Normally, the command:
IF X stays Y for Z duration
will only trigger once at the moment the time expires.

In this case (lines 18 & 20), I would think about a way to keep one a trigger, and make one a condition.
(the trigger activates the piston, and the condition will determine what happens next)

Does it matter which is first?

Well, you understand your household’s routines better than I do… Normally I try to think at which precise moment I want a piston to run. My educated guess would be to keep the Mat as a trigger in the first line, and let “IF Glass is closed” be the condition right beneath.

This way, if the door is open, the mat wont do anything

The problem here is that the cat will stand on the mat when she is ready but there is always also a lot of foot traffic.

I wanted the door to be closed at least 2 minutes to make sure the chime doesn’t go off for human traffic (smoking, BBQ’ing it was going off constantly.).

Understandable. Unless humans are standing still for ten seconds on the mat with the door closed, my previous post should still do the trick!

Got it!

Thanks for the inspiration

Piston “nm2e” will still fire with the door open.

I would go with something like this:

IF Mat's contact stays closed for 10 seconds
Then
    IF Glass contact is closed
       Then do stuff
    END IF
END IF