Control Samsung Smart TV Series 9 55 inch MU9000 via Alexa?

Hi Everyone,

I have an old Samsung Smart TV ‘Series 9 55 inch MU9000’ (2015 Model l think)

Unfortunately, my ST V3 2018 HUB and ST app does not recognize this old model of TV.

What l would like to do, is to have Alexa switch on or off the TV via voice command. I know l can create a virtual switch but l am struggling as what command to put behind the on and off virtual switch buttons.

I did see a ‘Samsung TV 2015’ Device Handler but was unsure how to have this connect to my TV.

I am simply wanting to have Alexa turn on or off the TV and nothing else.

Would like to hear from anyone who has been able to get this to work with their older/non-discoverable Samsung TV?

A piston image would be great if someone has this handy that they could share

Thanks everyone!

If your screen automatically turns on when first plugging the TV into the wall, then you can use a “smart outlet” to achieve your goal. (webCoRE will be able to turn the power on or off to the TV)

On the other hand, if plugging in the TV does NOT turn on the screen… you will likely be dependent on finding a device handler that works with your device.

Also, see if the TV can be turned on with a wake on lan. My LG OLED is not smart, but can be powered on in this way.

Thanks for your suggestion! I was trying to avoid using any type of smart plug and was hoping for a smarter way making use of the TV being connected on local home network. That said, your idea is an option if l unable to switch TV on by other means.

I will have a look if my TV model supports wake on LAN

I was hoping someone could advise of a Device Handler has been written that l could use for this or similar Samsung TV models

I believe someone above said:

… so maybe start with that for a test? :grin: There is likely a thread (discussion) that talks about which models it works with, as well as installation instructions.

In a nutshell, before worrying about webCoRE, the first step is usually getting SmartThings to use the DH to talk & listen to the device. (Note: Sometimes, there may be more than one DH to choose from, so a bit of reading is recommended at this phase)

Educated guess

With a Samsung 2015 model, I suspect there is at least one Device Handler out there that does most of the basic commands.

With Paul’s suggestion (Thanks Paul), l have managed to get my TV to switch on using Paul’s WOL Piston as my TV supports WOL. I have then simply used the Alexa Virtual switch to activate turning on the TV.

I can’t switch off the TV via Alexa, but l am happy to live with that for the time being

Thanks again everyone!