Control Vizio SmartCast TV with WebCore

I have a modern Vizio SmartCast TV that I would like to control via WebCore (just basics, like turning on TV, and setting the input. Maybe the volume)

So far, I have successfully controlled TV remotely via:

1. Vizio SmartCast app on my phone
  2. Alexa integration (e.g. “Alexa, turn on Family Room TV”)
  3. python CLI library from another user

Any idea on how to control TV via WebCore ? What’s the path of least resistance ? Can I have WebCore send commands to Alexa, who then controls the TV ? Can I install the python library in WebCore to give WebCore the native CLI commands ? Can I convince SmartThings to discover the TV ? Doubt it.

-Chad

You can definitely use webcore pistons with Alexa to control the TV. You can also use webcore and the SmartCast API to control it.

A webcore/Alexa example would be…
“Alexa, turn on the TV” and Alexa turns on a virtual switch or sends a CLI or an API call.

That’s helpful. Didn’t realize the port changed from 9000 to 7345. Looks like there’s a back-and-forth challenge I’ll need to sort out. I’ll get started, and post anything I learn.

Ah, this is all coming back to me now. Am now successfully controlling the TV Power via the SmartCast API using PostMan. That was a very helpful web page. Forgot about the pairing code that comes up on the screen. Now that I have an Auth Code, I’m guessing that I can use Auth Code within WebCore. I haven’t yet made an API call within WebCore, but that’ll be a handy skill to have, so working on that next.