Countdown to NFL kickoff

https://wiki.webcore.co/NFL

Ok it is nothing special. Mostly just a copy paste from the information I scraped from here. But it is all centrally located now. Hopefully as the season progress I can get a better understanding of how this beast works and can clear this up for the average user!

Is there a way to have it return if team is in red zone getting ready to score?

Not sure yet - I need a few games (live) to get stuff working - I don’t know what info I have available at this time

Would be awesome. Turn lights red when in red zone. Flash team colors when score. Reurn to team colors for duration of game

Hey all,

I’m still playing with the newly added composite variables but I’ll soon have a couple of piston exemples to share for you guys.

@Gopack2 Your ideas are very promising, thanks for sharing.

@ady624 are you still on track to integrate broadcaster info? I have a crazy piston in mind :

The piston would determine which games I wanna watch depending on a preference list and what games are available in my area (usually 3-4 simultaniously).

It would then auto-switch my set top box to corresponding channel (using smart TV) when the game I was previously watching ends.

For concurrent games, I also might integrate a preference evaluation logic where the score differential is used to determine if I should be watching another game (then switching channel).

There seems to be a discrepancy in game time. For me game starts at 3:25 pm local time. It’s returning 4:25? I know I can offset it by using addhours(game time,-1). But does it alway show eastern time, or is it going to vary by time zone games are played in?

I don’t have any info on the timezone, so I guess we’ll find out empirically in a few days. If it is, then I cam easily adjust it, but it comes with no tz info

If you fix it. Your going to have take into acct daylight savings time too. Based on locale. Just a thought. But this is grande from what I seen so far. I didn’t get to try last night, but was wondering if you can use an if statement to see if the score changes to trigger different actions. I.e.

If $nfl.GB.thisweek.score.display changes
Then send SMsmessage to (contact)

Anybody try this?

That won’t work. $ variables cannot be subscribed to. I will provide ways for live events. Right now the scores update once a day around 2-5am

@ady624 I’m starting to code the piston that will eventually evaluate which matchup I wanna watch based on teams I like, rivalry, standings and (if possible) what is televised in my area.

I wanted to list all of this week games but couldn’t figure how to do so.

$nfl.schedule.thisweek only returns Thursday game. $nfl.schedule.nextweek is next Thursday game. Do you have a workaround in mind? Thanks!

Are you sure those are not arrays? Try adding a .length at the end, is that a number? Then you can do a for and use [$index] on them

Honestly don’t know.

Yep, it returns 320.

I’m sorry but I’m still a bit in the dark here. Must be my noobness again :crazy_face:

Using gameID or specific team won’t do it since I want to list all of this week games.

Thanks!

You can use $nfl.schedule.thisWeek[0] etc.

In a for you would do a

for variable = 0 to $nfl.schedule.thisWeek.length - 1 step 1

Then use $nfl.schedule.thisWeek[variable] to access each game

Sorry to be time consuming, I feel dumb but $nfl.schedule.thisWeek[2] returns blank. Is it normal?

Here’s what I tried without success

I think where you need to enter the variable it needs to be the team Id. For example

$nfl.Gb.thisweek.home " vs. " $nfl.gb.thisweek.away

Not sure if that is what you are trying to accomplish. So basically, set up your array with all the teams you want info on and then step through it with a loop

Thanks for the input but What I am trying to do is list every matchup for thisweek, not for a specified team.

This is the first step toward what I ultimately want to do, which is rating matchups based on standings, rivalries, interest toward teams, etc.

It appears $nfl.schedule.thisWeek returns one game only which is wrong - I can fix this but i personally think what you are trying to do is a bit outside of the HA realm and more the job of a php/python cron job

I like to trespass? :thinking:

I’ll have my speaker reading me top matchups of the day Sunday morning?!

Nah, I know you’re right… I just don’t want to admit it lol… and I have no knowledge of PHP nor python.

How do you define the TOP games? What do you use to determine that?

Not sure how yet but intend to divide teams into 5 categories:

• Favorite team (just 1, being NE for me )
  • teams I like a lot
  • teams i like
  • teams i dislike
  • teams I dislike a lot

Then, develop a formula that will rate the matchup on 0to10 scale taking into consideration, for both teams playing the game:

• category of how I like them,
  • win%
  • difference between their two win %
  • is it a known rivalry?
  • etc.

And… if broadcasting info is available at some point, some adjustments depending on games I can watch without having to use a stream and even auto tune my smart tv.