Do I still need the ST Presence Sensor?

presence

I think I know the answer, but want to make sure before I mess something up. I’ve recently started using the webCoRE Presence Sensor and am using it to do several (not all yet) of the things that the ST Presence Sensor used to do - and one thing that the ST sensor couldn’t do at all. It seems to be working very well and it provides a lot more capabilities. Anyway, when I move all of the ST Presence Sensor functions to the webCoRE version and after cutting all links to apps, etc., do I still need the ST Presence Sensor? Can I just delete it?

TIA

I moved to the webCoRE presence sensor a couple of months ago. I changed any piston using my ST sensor to my webCoRE sensor. After a couple of weeks I removed my ST presence sensor. For comparison, my wife’s phone is still based on a ST sensor. We both have a Google Pixel. I’ve found the responsiveness to be comparable, with either having an occasional delay. However, I like the ability to customize the separate entry/exit zones and to have more than one location tied to my presence. Overall I find it much superior to the default ST presence sensor.

Thank you! So, it seems I can delete the ST device (ST Presence Sensor) once it’s all settled. I agree that the WC version is better because it provides more options for control and tracking.

I’d say for just presence alone, both are about as good as each other… but yes, the webCoRE app has a lot more to offer besides single presence.

That said, I still favour the physical arrival sensors… I’m a heavy iPhone user (I blame the forums!) so my battery is often dead before I get home (I also blame Apple lol)… when I actually had a ST hub, I powered an arrival sensor from my car battery and it never let me down!

I made the switch to webcore only for about a week, and found that like the ST presence sensor, sometimes it failed to update. Now I use both to trigger a simulated presence sensor. I have a simple piston that says, if Either one changes to Present then set the simulated to present, and the same for if either become away. I use the simulated presence sensor for my Welcome home and goodbye routines. I still use the WebCore for a few other pistons where I care about locations and notifications.

Since I’ve used both to trigger the simulated, I’ve had nearly perfect arrival and departure for trigger my routines.

So far, I’ve added my ST and WC presence sensors to all of my presence-related pistons and tied them together with ‘Any’ like you. Ok so far, but only a few days so far. We’ll see how it goes.

I prefer the webCoRE sensor, primarily due to the separate Arrival/Departure goefences. With the ST sensor, if I traveled anywhere near the edge of the geofence, I got multiple “arriving” and “departing” notifications, especially if the location accuracy was varying, as it often does.

With the webCoRE sensor, I have the outer ring much larger than the inner, and those fluctuating notifications are gone.
I’ll stick with the WC sensor.

Is there any way to make the exit area smaller than 250 meters? My business is a block and a half from home so when I walk to work, ST still thinks I’m home because I never get out of the exit perimeter. The arrival one I have set to 50 meters which is fine, any ideas how I can make the departure perimeter smaller? Or can I set up a second location at work that overlaps the home perimeter and somehow force an exit when I get to work? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

For some reason my WebCoRE sensor is unreliable at best… :frowning:

I thought the minimal was 50m difference, so on the dashboard setting click the zone and reduce the outer ring. It’s easiest using a PC or the Webcore app.