Dumbest Question You will See on this Forum re:ST; Google Home; WebCore

My Setup:
2 google home mini speakers
Samsung hub through a Shield TV
2 Movement Sensors
Smart Lights

I followed all the tutorials to get everything connected through ST, Webcore, Github, Googlehome.
I’ve dugged through this forum to get a presence code to set up my piston to simply say “Welcome Home, (my name)” when my phone is present. It’s obviously not working.

Question: How is webcore connected to smartthings which (i assume) is connected to google home which will then take action?

Simplified answer:

Devices talk & listen to the ST hub
The ST hub listens to and sends commands to devices and/or webCoRE
WebCoRE listens to and sends commands to the ST hub

(ST hub is the middle man between devices and webCoRE. I don’t think webCoRE can talk or listen directly to devices)

As far as I know, Google Home sends commands to the devices, which hopefully are being monitored by the ST hub & webCoRE.

A general rule of thumb is, all devices are linked to the ST hub first… Then in the webCoRE app, they are added to the list of devices being monitored by webCoRE.

From the sounds of your post, this is a fairly recent install. Since you are dealing with 4 (or more) devices from various companies, let’s start with a simple test from webCoRE > ST hub > Bulb. This will assure that these 3 are installed and communicating successfully.

From the Dashboard, can you make a new piston (+) like this:

temp

(Replace ‘Ceiling’ with one of your smart bulbs)

Then save the piston, and click the Test button at the top. Did the light go on, then turn off?

I didn’t think it was possible to issue audio stream to Google Home via WiFi, so you can’t get Google Home to speak or play anything from WebCoRE without an audio server and a bluetooth module.

As far as voice announcements go, I am using webCoRE to announce many things out loud.

Depending on what you have laying around the house, your investment may only be $5

My full writeup can be found here:

(Despite the title of that thread, Amazon Echo is not required for voice announcements. You only need a speaker connected to an old Android phone or tablet. The article explains how to set it up.)