Email test works, but not piston

I created a piston to send an email when a light turns on

The “test” button sends the email, but after I save the piston and the light comes on, there is no email. I tried changing the “light” to “front door”, but opening the front door doesn’t send an email either.

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the pistonimage
(UPLOAD YOUR IMAGE HERE)

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
(PASTE YOUR LOGS HERE THEN HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THE LOGS AND CLICK ON THE </> ICON TO FORMAT THEM CORRECTLY)

REMOVE BELOW AFTER READING
If a solution is found for your question then please mark the post as the solution.

Can you post an image of your piston? Click on the green camera icon on the piston to create one.

The log shows nothing when I use Smart tiles to turn on the light, but this is what I get when I hit the “test” button. Also, do I have to do something else to verify on the forum? I wrote a piston (that worked) to turn on a switch when my AC state goes to “cooling” and fell in love with WebCore; I’m sure I’m doing something wrong with the email piston

You need a trigger in the piston. At the moment, you only have an action so the test button is the only way to trigger it.

Use an IF block

If
Light switch changes to on

Then
Do
Send email
End do
End if

Thanks. I thought it might be something like that. I used the IF for the switch/AC combo. Thought I looked for email option, but obviously did NOT. I’m anxious to try again. I have had Smart things for 4 months and didn’t explore WebCore til now. Lot’s of time wasted trying to get things done through normal IDE

It is also important to note that each user can only receive X emails per day.
(I think it was set to ten recently) Any emails beyond that will not be sent.

Thankfully, there is no limits on PUSH notifications or SMS (text) messages per day.

Thanks for the info. I’m going to end up using the piston to send an email when my alarm sounds, but didn’t see an “alarm state” or such to actuate. Hopefully alarm triggers will be under that limit :slight_smile: (Guess I should stop testing though, now that I know it will work) I think I found out what I was doing wrong in the IF scenario: I chose location dropdown - didn’t see add-a-task button. All is well now. WebCore rocks, Thanks for all the help

The count should reset itself for the next day.
(not sure if that is local time, GMT, or the time zone of the server)

One last tidbit. When you get an email from a reply on this forum, it also counts towards your daily maximum. (since the forums & our pistons use the same email provider)

Thanks again. I had notifications set to “watching” , but didn’t get any emails. I have it “muted” now just in case since all my questions have been answered (so Far)