Execute a Piston URL without getting the URL response

1) Give a description of the problem
(I’m using ActionTiles to execute a Piston URL however AT doesn’t allow execution without a window action for the returned response of the URL)

2) What is the expected behaviour?
(I know this seems like an AT limitation but I’m wondering if there is something I can put at the end of the Piston URL so it doesn’t call a window action)

3) What is happening/not happening?
(URL sends a response that requires a browser window to show response.
Ex. {“result”:“OK”,“timestamp”:1558188460001})

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the pistonimage
(UPLOAD YOUR IMAGE HERE)

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
(PASTE YOUR LOGS HERE THEN HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THE LOGS AND CLICK ON THE </> ICON TO FORMAT THEM CORRECTLY)

REMOVE BELOW AFTER READING
If a solution is found for your question then please mark the post as the solution.

A workaround is use a simulated switch button that can be pushed in AT that in turns fires a webcore piston that does your webcall. If you’re into that kind of thing :wink:

Thanks. I’m aware of creating a simulated switch. I’m just trying to avoid creating dozens of simulated switches to do something I should be able to do natively in Action Tiles.

That extra popup window is entirely ActionTiles. WebCoRE has no control over how ActionTiles operates. Maybe post a request over in their forums?

If your memory is good, you can cheat a bit by creating a single “Simulated Dimmer Switch” to toggle many different actions here in webCoRE. (letting different brightness levels represent different actions)

For example, to get 4 possible outcomes from one device:

It is important to note that we should not use level 0 or 100 in this logic…
(also, in the example above, 99 is reserved for the default position, so the acceptable range to trigger this piston is when you change to any level between 1 and 98)

With this structure, a single SimDimmer Switch can theoretically activate 98 different actions (or pistons)
The challenge is remembering which levels does which action.

Personally, my favorite splits are with 4 or 5 possible outcomes… (every 25-20 levels)
It is real easy (even with a fat thumb) to adjust the level to somewhere between 1 and 24 without worrying too much about precision. Stopping the slider on any level between those numbers can trigger the appropriate code here in webCoRE.

Thanks WCmore. I see where you’re going with this but I don’t think this solution will work for my application. There is no way my family is going to remember that setting the dimmer to level 25 will play Jonas Brothers. Even if I label the Action Tile accordingly, there’s too much room for error if they forget the slider isn’t for volume and move it 50, thus playing Ed Sheehan instead.

I did post the question in AT first. Getting the answer that it’s not implimented yet. Frustrating for sure, considering that I don’t think it would be that difficult to build in.

Thanks for chiming in.

If you’re using Fully browser, maybe the dev can add a feature to suppress that response. I’m not sure how receptive he is in feature request.

I thought about that too. I really think this is something that AT should just build into their platform. It’s not the responsibility of other devs to create workarounds for the limitations of specific platforms. Not to mention, a global window open suppression in Fully would break the other uses for wanting to have URL windows pop up. Im kind of frustrated with AT, after paying almost $30 for the full use of their platform, that they don’t see this as a readily useful feature. There are a lot of uses for calling URL action when you don’t want or need to see the response.

It’s a standard reply that the browser receives just like when you click the execute piston link which is why I recommended the fully dev. Your chances at getting it implemented is higher than asking AT or any of the browser makers.

For what it’s worth, I keep my growing collection of Simulated Switches manageable by adding the letter “V” at the beginning of the “Device Network ID”. This keeps them all grouped together, and places them out of my way at the bottom of my list of devices.

One other food for thought. You can create a new Panel in AT that is devoted to music playlists, so your main Panel is not so cluttered.

Thanks WCmore. I’ll consider adding the V if I end up making all the simulated switches. I might find I can deal with having to tap the “X” to close the window for now.

I have created a separate panel for my music buttons to keep things tidy in AT. That’s a good tip.

@eibyer, I will email the Fully dev. If I get a response I’ll post it here. Thanks