External links in text messages

1) Give a description of the problem
I would like to send an external link in a text message so when I get notified of something I can just tap the link in the text message and it will turn another switch on. I have gotten it to work however I would like to shorten the link up somehow if possible. Something similar to a hyperlink. I am far from a programmer so I dont even know where to start. I tried using variables nothing i tried worked.

2) What is the expected behavior?
A shortened link (hyperlink) for my external link in a text message

3) What is happening/not happening?
Everything works, i just dont know how to make it more user friendly with a shorter link or even if its possible

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the pistonimage

5) Attach any logs (From ST IDE and by turning logging level to Full)
(PASTE YOUR LOGS HERE BETWEEN THE MARKS THEN HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THE LOGS SND CLICK ON THE </> ICON TO FORMAT THEM)

Text yes to run a routine or piston

Send the link to IFTTT maker and then have IFTTT send it to you via SMS. IFTTT will automatically shorten all links using bit.ly

Ok, thank you. I will try that. I didnt realize I had my phone number in there so i am pulling this post off for now and repost i have any issues. Thank you again for the reply!

So I have a webhooks (which is what I found when I searched for ifttt maker) account but I really dont know how to do what you are asking me. Again this is all new to my. Could you maybe give me an example to point me in the right direction?

IFTTT INSTRUCTIONS
IF THIS: WebHooks - Receive a web request. Type in a name for the webhook. This can be anything you want. You will use it later in the Piston. Then click Save Trigger.

THEN THAT: SMS - Send me an SMS. Type in any text you want, and add up to 3 variables that your Piston will send - Value 1, Value 2, and/or Value 3. You can add them by clicking “Add Ingredient” on that IFTTT page.

PISTON INSTRUCTIONS
Choose the “Send an IFTTT Maker Event” Action. It will then ask for the Maker Event Name (use the name you entered when creating the webhook trigger). You can then set up what data to pass as Values 1-3. So, if you want to pass on a url (which you have stored in a local variable defined as “theURL”) as Value 1, then in the Value 1 drop-down, just select Variable and then the variable theURL.

ANOTHER IFTTT OPTION
You can also have IFTTT send this url via a Notification, rather than via SMS. To do this, instead of choosing SMS as the IFTTT Action, Choose Notifications. You can add text, and then place Value 1 into the box titled Link URL. The cool part about this option is that the notification will only contain the text (the url is completely hidden). Clicking on the notification will cause your phone to open the url (at least that’s how it works on Android).

Thank you! I was close but was trying to use the web request. I hadnt seen the Iftt integration yet action yet. Very cool. I know there is so much more here than I will ever use but it is fun to keep learning new things. Thanks again

If the URL is changing, like you want to access a saved photo or something, you can use the bit.ly api through a WebCall to shorten the link as well. You have to sign up for a bitly account, and then you send them the url to shorten. The api then responds with a nice short link. There’s documentation over here:
http://dev.bitly.com/links.html

And it’s all free, as long as you don’t send them hundreds of requests an hour.

I am actually liking the bitly account a little better because I can customize the link and it is fewer steps to setup not having to get iftt involved. Thank you for this option as well.