Free Geocoding APIs?

1) Give a description of the problem
I use the Presence tiles and I’d like something more useful than the closest location shown when the current location is blank, so was thinking of creating something to give a rough say town level value for sensor based on the lat/long info

2) What is the expected behavior?
when tiles are periodically updated, if the currentlocation is blank rather than show the previous location show a town from the lat/long info
I believe distance(a,b,unit) is a useable function to get a distance between two sensors or between a sensor and home, but is there a function to get a textual location e.g. town?

3) What is happening/not happening?
(PUT YOUR INFO HERE)
I haven’t attempted this yet as i’ve not found a free geocoding API

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the piston
n/a

5) Attach any logs (From ST IDE and by turning logging level to Full)
n/a

edit: changed from last to closest location shown when current location is blank

Google maps api?

Unfortunately, since November its not free any more…you need an account with billing enabled to use it

The geocoding api is free as of now, I am still using it… however the maps, routes and places apis are billable as far as I can see.

Currently I am using the distance matrix api and the geocoding api

You do need an account with billing enabled to use the Google Maps API, but you get a monthly credit of $200. At less than a penny per call, it would take a lot of calls to the API to use up that credit. So essentially still free …

Remember, the prices in columns 2 and 3 below are per 1000 calls.

OK thanks @Gopack2, @bthrock. I’ll give it a bash and see what I can make work

Thanks again

I’m using the Nominatim Reverse Geocoding API from OpenStreetMap and it appears to work just fine.
It’s free, seems uncomplicated (compared to the results I was seeing on the Google one) and doesn’t require an API Key…so I’ll see how it goes

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim

Thanks for your help guys

Now if only the web presence sensors were updating reliably…out of the 4 phones I’ve tried to install it on:
One, an iPhone SE - works faultlessly
Two, an iPhone SE and an iPhone 6 - work intermittently, but will generally update when running the webcore app manually
And finally, one, an iPhone 5 (running IOS 10) - doesn’t work at all…app works until its registered as a sensor, then crashes…presumably something to do with it trying to read the geoboundaries i Have set up? And then won’t load again until i reinstall it (and I need to delete the presence sensor it created previously in ST).