Frustrated and getting fed up


I set up ST and webcore 2 or 3 years ago, controlling lights, fans, etc, with several automations and custom pistons. Everything worked flawlessly for years. And then ST went and “updated” their stupid software, and nothing has worked since after switching to the new app.

About two weeks ago, it stopped working completely. None of my webcore routines work at all now. I can still turn on a light or something inside the ST app (once it finally loads), but none of the webcore stuff works.

It’s been a while since I’ve done anything with it. Is their a step-by-step guide somewhere on what I need to do to get Webcore and my old pistons working again, and maybe even on the dashboard? (The webcore dashboard wasn’t finished yet the last time I messed with it…I was using smart tiles or something, until that went away too).

So frustrated…

Thanks for any help.


webCoRE runs locally on Hubitat (and much faster than ST)…


I feel your pain, as I think many of us do. However, and maybe I am just OCD, I am nearly constantly monitoring, tweaking, updating and maintaining my pistons. I think you have to. Webcore is completely contingent upon a well functioning SmartThings environment. And that environment is in a nearly constant state of flux. So generally, pistons are not fire-and-forget. You have to periodically keep them up to snuff.


Yeah, I get that. But Webcore has worked perfectly for years. It’s the not-so-SmartThings that has recently caused everything to go south. I just need to know where to start on getting things working again, before yanking the ST hub and tossing it in the trash and starting over.


What does that involve?

I assume I would need to purchase the Hubitat hardware, add all my devices, and then install Webcore on it?

Does it support the same devices as ST? I currently have Phillips Hue lights and motion sensors, some Samsung sensors, Wemo switches, Ecobee thermostat, Harmony hub, and a couple of GE switches for ceiling fans. I’m using custom device handlers in ST on some of the sensors and fan switches (dimmers).


Overall yes that is the process. There are varients that uses devices on both platform (hubconnect)

The he forms is where you can research if you devices are supported

I found all mine were but each has to check what they have


The GE switches you have if they are the older ones will need to be polled separately as it doesn’t report status in the Hubitat system. There are workarounds to it that involves poller apps or webcore itself. If you only have a couple, it shouldn’t be an issue. I have 3 of them myself.

Search their forum for the device model number to see if there are any issues or gotchas with those devices. I know the Samsung sensors, Hue, and ecobee work with the HE system.


So I guess my options are

  1. Dump ST and get hubitat, or…

  2. Just give up on home automation


I’d suggest getting Hubitat first, start small using the devices with native integration, get webCoRE working with it and go from there.

Keep your ST email subscription active just so you can feel good about the switch every time there’s a service degradation email :wink: