GE Dimmer fade on /off

Oh… And the double-tap continues to work?

Should, but can’t verify as I don’t have double tap switches. Sorry.

Here is a video of what the switches do when you physical tap, same thing happens if you turn them on using ST app, or an actiontile. If you “turn on” with WC… they just turn on like a traditional switch

From WC are you sending “turn on” or “set level”? I have other GE switches (toggle, not decora) and I get the smooth fade when I use “turn on” or “turn off”. But set level is an immediate jump to the percentage set.

I have double-tap working on my version of the NuttyTree DTH - and all my switches are dimmers.

Yes, they are button #1 and button #2.

I’ve tried “turn on”, “set level” and “Fade to”

“turn on” gives me instant on to the last level… and “set level” give me instant on to the last level then instant to the level called for.

I’m going to try this DTH…

It takes some tweaking to get it working right. Let me know when you have it installed and I’ll try to save you some of the headaches I had along the way.

Probably Sunday night.

@Robin Any ideas? Seems like it would not be a DTH if it works fine in the ST apps right?

I have no idea

@webCoRE_Minions @ady624

I meant to look at mine last night and see how they were behaving, but too many beers and I honestly forgot to pay attention to them. I’ve got both dimmers and the standard on/off switches installed throughout my house though, so I’ll have to remember to try them out tonight.

Beyond getting them to initially recognize (which I’ve got working rather solidly now) what else did you do to configure them?

Nothing wrong with that!

I had a problem with the dimmers not turning all the way off when I turned them on or off. They’d stop at 37% or some random number. I got around that by changing all the “+1000” to “*1000” in the delay statements. I still had issues with one or two features so I added a “+500” behind those.

The GE Zwave dimmers always do the ramp up/down.
The Ge Zigbee dimmers are like Zwave and Zigbee switch version and instantly go to the previous level.

I had one of my Zwave dimmers start doing this last year, and I couldn’t figure out why. It’s the same stock DTH, still does instant on/off. I prefer it this way but never got around to finding a video I remember from a long time back.

I can’t remember if it was in my Wink or ST days, I think it was in Wink days because Wink can’t modify device Zwave settings like can be done in ST, but anyway I remember a video is out there where someone used one of those large black GE Zwave remotes paired as a secondary controller where you can if you know a sequence of options can set the dimmers to on/off vs ramping up/down.
I’m assuming someone on the ST forum would know.

I had the exact same issue. When using the switch, they were performing one way and when using Z-Wave commands (either through the app or WC), they performed differently. I highly recommend using the DTH out there by nuttytree. You’ll have the ability to change the number of steps and timing of steps used in dimming. There are options for “Receiving Z-Wave Dim Command”, “Manual Control Dimming”, and “When Receiving an All-Off/All-On Command”. As long as they’re all set to your liking, and set the same, they should perform exactly the same regardless if you’re using the button or turing them off programmatically.

Finally got to look at mine and they definitely fade out the same thru WC as they do with everything else. I tested on Alexa, WC and from the physical switch. It’s all the same.

I would have to agree with this. That seems to make all the difference. There are some mods you have to do to it though, but they are just simple edits.

So I moved to Nutty on one of my dimmers… it works fine except the double tap doesn’t seem to work?

I use that DTH for all of mine and the double-tap definitely works. Sometimes you have to refresh the device in the App to get it to fully take. But the DTH absolutely supports the double-tap feature.

Dimmers and Switches? Did you have to do anything extra other than install the DTH? It works from the ST app for me… but not when I double tap the physical. I tried slow and fast double taps.