GE Dimmer set default max level

When I turn on my GE Z-Wave dimmer switches, they always turn on to the last dimmer level. I would like to control their default max on level.

Also I would like to change their default on ramp level. I have tried all the device handlers I could find and none were helpful.

I did see this thread from a while back that was not helpful:

98% of the bulbs I have worked on do not have this capability. Most bulbs will turn on at the same level and color as they were when they last turned off.

The easy solution is to program your turn off command to fade to the right level before turning off the bulb. This prepares it for the next turn on.

How do you get that to work with the physical switch? I tried to do what you said but the physical switch kills the lights then turns it back on and adjusts down. Kind of annoying to have the light go off. Turn on, adjust, then turn off again.

If you are killing the power to the bulb by way of a “traditional” wall switch, then you are out of luck. WebCoRE or SmartThings can’t do anything to a device that has no power.

If your wall switch is a smart switch, then you are in luck.
You can program webCoRE:

IF SmartSwitch changes to off
    Then set level to X 
    Turn off bulb
END IF

It’s a GE Smart Dimmer. Here’s what I tried with no luck.

Perfect. Add a:
Set level to (whatever)
command right before the off command here

I usually set mine to a real low level, because I would rather my turn on begin too low than to have it start too bright

I just noticed your IF is the same device as the statement below…

This will turn it on for a split second, set the new level, and then automatically turn it off.

I usually have one switch control a different device

Actually I had it and was replacing the screen grab when you posted (I removed the set to function since it acts weird). Here’s a video of what it does. It’s acrually shuts off then turns back on and sets the dimmer and doesn’t shut off. Pardon the mess. We are remodeling.

It is kind of hard to tell from over here, but it looks like the light fluctuates both on the on and off… Can you confirm?

One more question for clarification… Are you using smart bulbs in your ceiling, or just regular old bulbs?

It turns off, then turns back on at previous dim, then dims, then goes back to the medium seting.

I think the physical switch kills the power, WebCore fires it back up to dim, then calls itself and reruns like it was turned back on and sets the dimmer to medium (first IF line in the piston as it’s fitting the time required).
Bulb is a normal bulb. Switch is acting as the dimming device, not the bulb.

Ahh yes. the setting the level turns it on briefly, which triggers your other line of code.

I think you will have to resort to variables, but even then it will come on briefly to reset the level before going back off for good.

One trick that I do in my closet is,

every day at 9:30pm, set level to low and turn off
every day at 6:30am, set level to medium and turn off

This does create a quarter of a second flash twice a day, but it keeps my levels where I want them, with no strange looping. This way, when I actually want the light to come on, it is already set at the right level

Killing the power to a “dumb” bulb is harmless, as long as the “brains” retains power. (in your case, the wall switch)

Is there a way to rset the dim value on the switch without turning it on? So I tell it webcore if the switch is turned off set dimmer value to 20, but don’t actually execute that. Just reset the smart switches memory. That would fix my issue.

Possible, depending on the Device Handler… but again, less that 2% of the devices I have dealt with have that capability.

Nearly all of them only accept commands when turned on

I just created a ‘set daily at 9:30 pm’ routine. Not worried about setting it back as the first time I turn it on after 6:30 am it will have the correct setting.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

That should work. Nobody likes being blinded early in the morning!