GE On/Off Zwave Plus Switch Double Tap Issue

1) Give a description of the problem
I have two GE ZWave Plus on.off switches. Both are the same exact version and firmware according the the SmartThings IDE. I’m using a custom device handler that exposes the double tap functionality. For switch A, my Webcore piston functions exactly as it should. However, for Switch B, the piston does not fire when the switch is double tapped. Another interesting data point is that for Switch B when configuring the piston it shows 32 available buttons instead of the two I expect. Switch A only shows 2 buttons.

2) What is the expected behavior?
Double Tapping the switch should execute the piston

Which device handler are you using?

I use “nuttytree : GE Z-Wave Plus Switch”

What happens when you press button 2 on the offending switch from inside the smartthings app?

The buttons work fine from the SmartThings Classic app in the device handler. They do not work when the switch is physically double-tapped up or down. I’d think the switch just doesn’t support it, but it’s the same model and firmware version of one that works just fine.

Which device handler?

Sam device handler you linked above. I have another new data point to add. When I add one of my other switches to the association group for double tap of this switch, the other light does turn on and off with the double tap, so double tap is indeed working on the switch.

Weird…

So, physical double tap works through device association. Double tap “button” in device handler in Classic App works. Physical double tap never gets sent to WebCore (Piston never fires). Also, in Webcore 32 buttons are shown when adding a condition instead of the normal 2.

Eureka! Got it working. Here’s what I did.

After realizing that the device association made the double tap start reporting in SmartThings event log, I decided to remove the switch from the WebCore available devices. I then re-added it and edited the Piston. Sure enough, the piston now showed only 2 buttons available instead of 32. I saved the piston, removed the device association and voila, the Webcore Piston fired when I double tapped the switch.

I had removed and re-added the switch from WebCore several times before while troubleshooting, but adding the device association was what did the trick.