Help design Piston Presence is 2 miles away from home

I am trying to create a piston to turn my thermostat on if my presence is detected 2 miles away from home. I am using the WebCoRe presence sensor. I have already setup my location in WebCoRe.

I don’t see any parameter that would allow me to say 2 miles away from home. I can do if presence is equal to 2 miles, or closest location, but not specific to a location.

Please help.

I haven’t tested this but knocked it up quickly to show that it could possibly be done.

Just reread your query.
See what you mean.
@webCoRE_Minions does anyone know if this defaults to picking your home location.

Yes, the distance parameter is the distance from home.

However, it should be noted that distance is not actually an element of presence even though it is a part of the webcore presence sensor. Distance is GPS-specific, while presence is not. Many users (like myself) have allowed our phones to disable the location services part of the webcore app in order to reduce battery drain, leaving only the presence features functional.

In this case there is another option, which would be to extend the home’s outer circle to 2 miles and use the arrivingAtPlace parameter to trigger his piston. Again, it’s just another idea, although this would also mean that presence wouldn’t show him having left home until he is outside of the 2 mile circle.

Because of the app draining the battery issue, I think this might be a situation where using IFTTT is a better option?

Extending the fens two miles is unacceptable to me. I need home to be home.

Also, my wife’s phone is barely giving her enough charge throughout the day so I doubt she would allow me too install an app that is eating away more of the battery. I was kind of excited about the GPS features though.

Why is it draining your battery?
Are you aware that once you have set everything up you can kill the webCoRE presence app.

@bobbles, the last time I killed the app, my presence was not detected and an important thermostat change did not occur.

I arrived home at 7:00 the day before. On the next morning, the Webcore presence sensor had me away since the morning of the day before. The ST sensor correctly had me present. I turned the Webcore app on and then the presence got updated.

so, if the app is not running, the presence does not get detected.

i’m trying to setup this exactly but can’t find out how to do it, when i select the presence detector i assigned to life360 it only asks if present or away… can you help

Are you seeing this?

no i only see presence or the home symbol $status

Hhmm. Not sure why these additional options are not there.
Do you have the webCoRE presence app installed? I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.
@webCoRE_Minions any ideas?

not sure if i do or not which means i probably don’t - i am looking for it and can’t find it in a search… how do i install that?

You need to download the app through Google play store or the Apple equivilent.
Do a search for webCoRE.
Like I said I can’t remember if you need it or not.
@webCoRE_Minions. Anyone else remember.

i’m pretty new to all this - i got the app i think i have the webcore presence sensor installed - but don’t see it anywhere that helps… when in ST device handler list it shows as published - still nothing has changed for the drop down menu i get with my presence sensor options… any other idea’s?