Help Understanding Log

Good point.

I try to keep in mind that (in this stage of the game), AI is actually human programmed.

Meaning,
“it would know you are coming home, and you haven’t just left to fetch a coffee.”
as long as it was programmed to look for that, and you did not veer too much…

This is partly why my pistons are never 100% complete.
I am always thinking of more variations to add to it.

Essentially, I look for patterns made by humans (sorry, clients),
and then program the SmartHome to look for those events.

Of course, we cannot forget that every single household in the world would have different expectations… So to me, a “global” smart home AI sounds kind of lame, and “vanilla”.

In my opinion, customized programming (to suit the residents) is what really impresses me.
(and by comparison, should blow away AI’s capability for at least another decade)

Yes, but if you use the ‘onPhysical()’ or ‘offPhysical()’ command methods the stock Simulated Switch will set the ‘isPhysical’ flag.

I’m unclear as to the state of play with ‘isPhysical’. There have been many comments on the ST forum suggesting that it was supported so inconsistently in the hardware that ST just withdrew support for it, and that webCoRE processed the flag incorrectly anyway and needed a fix (did that ever happen?). Presumably that just means if it works it works, if it doesn’t tough.

I don’t think it is sufficiently widely appreciated that the ‘Simulated …’ devices are there to simulate things that actual devices do for testing purposes. Some can be set offline for example. They just come in handy as virtual devices. I never use them though, I roll my own.

I have seen physical/programmatic distinction on less than 1% of bulbs… (real bulbs, not sim)

It is so rare that a device transmits it, I have trained myself to just use the default:
pic

I hope there are more distinctions in the pipeline for the future.
(I don’t need fingerprint readers, but physical/programmatic distinction would be nice…
… as well as “on” changing to “on” (or similar flag) becoming an optional trigger)

I have been spreading the word… :grin:

I think 99% of my clients have at least one Simulated device to “play” with.
They are definitely a useful tool, with countless applications.