Help with Space Heater Manager piston

heating

1) Give a description of the problem
I created this piston to manage the space heater in one of our rooms which is plugged into a smart plug and temp is monitored every 60 seconds via USB powered Innoveli 4-in-1 sensor.

2) What is the expected behaviour?
Expected this to maintain the room temperature between 70-74 F during the night in Winter months.

3) What is happening/not happening?
Last night, I felt a bit cold and switched on the space heater manually from action-tiles panel, however, the heater kept running until i switched it off and the room was at 89F. Not sure what was missing here? It’s not captured in the logs.

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the pistonimage

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
No Logs are captured from that window of time. Seemingly like the piston didn’t even run.

I’d suggest going to the motion sensor’s details page and see if it’s actually reporting temperature and how often during the time period in question.

It did, please see this screenshot.

No offense, but this case demonstrates why I never depend upon a “smart” system to manage a space heater. I will follow this case as I am interested to see what happened.

My next step would be to add logging tasks to all of the temperature subscriptions to see if your piston is actually seeing the temp changes.

I have to admit that I also have a piston that deals with a bathroom space heater that auto turns off after a set amount of time and/or if and a designated presence sensor is not present.

I think you want the piston to run any time the temperature changes.

ie

if motion Sensor 1's temperature changes

then many of your drops below, or rises above can be is less than or greater than

This will be ‘more defensive’ in that if piston did not run for some reason, it will still on the next run make the proper decision. With default of webcore command optimizations, it won’t send additional zwave/zigbee commands.

Thanks, this fixed it.