How long will WebCoRE be available

I think they will eventually be up on the Samsung Developers YouTube channel. I only have pics :slight_smile:

Thanks for the visual @prjct92eh2!!!

Did you notice a camera crew in the room during Adrian’s speech?

This line made me laugh…

How many other business models could get away with this? LOL

“We have taken the first steps to secure a building, but it is up to the community to stock the shelves, and program the cash register…”

I guess, in all fairness, with each companies devices having different capabilities, this direction makes sense… We’ve all seen how generic Device Handlers can often fall short.

yeah, everything was filmed. Sessuons from last years SDC were posted, so i would expect the same this year.

Thanks…

I will definitely be watching the Samsung Developers YouTube channel for updates…

Recorded. Was told it might take a week for it to show up on youtube.

I have not been keeping up to date on the newer hubs but do we know which hubs can take advantage of this new Rules API? Hub 6.0?

Purely speculation, but I’d guess v2 and v3 for sure, SmartThings WiFi and Connect Home maybe, and everything else about 0% chance.

please who ever sees it first, share a link here…
GO WEBCORE!!!

Vlad’s on the Rules API may be of interest, too

Thanks for the link @mbardea!!!

I am watching it now… I might post a few visual highlights from that event

Number of piston executions per hour:

Wow, that’s almost 280 pistons executing per second…
(and we know some pistons can be quite complex)

I am curious if pistons that WAIT count as two executions.
(one initial trigger, and one execution continuing X minutes later)

Announcement - Changes to Legacy SmartThings Platform
Fade multiple house lights from current level to 20% over time

Thanks for the link @prjct92eh2!!!

I am watching it now… I might post a few visual highlights from that event
(keeping in mind that nothing is written in stone at this point)

Create a “Behavior” in SmartThings API:

“Zooming in” on the IF from above expands to this:

(more choices were listed offscreen)

Note that each line above expands to more detailed levels of control

So far… the capabilities are looking quite similar to webCoRE…

Sample raw code (Simple IF):

Basic IF block and basic EVERY block:

Basic condition:

Nested Rules and another condition example:

Sample command:

Example schedules:

Learned from audience member’s questions:

• Nested IF’s are projected to be able to be nested 10-50 levels deep
  • Local execution is the next focus point for the team
  • Connecting to third party apps (IFTTT, Alexa) sounds very possible, but some commands will require the 3rd party to connect with the ST team to get their device specific commands/attributes understood and integrated with SmartThings. (and thereby, our hubs)

Quotes:

…so, like variables, yes, we really want variables, and that is a part of webCoRE that we don’t support yet.

…so like, for loops / while loops… are all in plan for development… They’re not done yet… Counters are… yeah… that’s where we are going. So we’ll be expanding the language as time goes on. We just have a limited set of functionalities, so we wanted to get it out there for people to provide feedback on.

@ady624 just listened to your presentation and one thing that concerned me what that you’ve said that email may not make it into rules-api.

In the U.K. via ST we lack the capability to send sms messages so many of us have signed up to an email->SMS service like clicksend. This allows us to send an email from webCoRe which is them translated to an SMS and sent to its destination.

Without the ability to send emails your U.K. customers then lose the ability (again) to send sms.

Can you pitch this within the team to see if this feature may get a higher priority as a result of you now having a strong use case. Unless your bringing back the ability for countries other than USA to have the ability to send SMS directly from ST or the new rules-api.

Nice presentation BTW. It was interesting hearing the questions where they didn’t quite understand where you were getting conflict. Not sure they fully understood what was actually going on in your demo unfortunately. This was nothing to do with how you explained it and more to do with their inability to see the bigger picture that you were showing.

I watched both videos. But I am confused. Is webcore going away? Is Samsung going with the Rules API to replace webcore for ST integration?

It sounds like webCoRE is here to stay… The Rules API can be coded with raw text (or we can create our own GUI)… but with Adrian at the helm, I will be using webCoRE to create code…

It sounded to me like there would be a new version with no migration tool. Maybe I misunderstood. Bullet #3 in the following post…,

This is the way I understood it

That is how I read it also…

The new webCoRE may look similar to the current version, but the code it produces, and the platform it runs off of will be very different. (even though much of the logic looks similar)

I do think it will be easier for most people to code with a visual GUI though… Instead of hand-typing out indented and nested code… (where a single misplaced comma can ruin an entire project)

It is important to note that webCoRE is now running well on Hubitat, with local automations.

So if ST makes life difficult, there is another choice, that get local automations without rewrites of pistons.

There are some simple performance comparisons also…

Still working well even in the first gen HE hubs? That’s the one I have running at home with a few devices on it.

I have gen2, I have not seen the list of differences. Assuming it runs the same HE versions, I expect it to be good as far as webcore, but if someone has the HW differences list, I could speculate further…