Just a simple piston and it doesn't work...help

I am what you would consider a very determined stubborn novice who refuses to give up. But this is not for the fainthearted! I have watched the 2 videos, installed the program successfully, and attempted my first piston, but it failed. I actually sort of enjoy the gnashing of teeth trying to figure out how this works and understand that eventually, I will. However, I think I need some beginner guidance so I can sleep!

I want my barn flood light switch to turn on and off my east side floodlights.

*nothing is happening

the log is empty

remove the physically

Give this a try

I can’t tell if you’re trying to help, or have a wicked sense of humor and trying to drive him mad when he can’t turn his light off. :joy:

Edit: The second IF statement can be done away with all together and just put the action in the ELSE section of the first IF. If switch one changes and it’s not on, it can only be off. No need to test for it with another condition. :slight_smile:

To expand on this … the reason this was suggested is SmarThings rarely, if ever actually reports if a device was physically or programmatically turned on/off. It uses to work for some devices but now it simply doesn’t.

Ooops… I missed that…lol

Yep change that to turn off.

Try this… Thanks for pointing out that error on the first piston I posted…

No problem!

You could simplify that piston and get the same results this way, just FYI in case it might help reduce some of your piston chunks:

Ok, I changed it and it works! Thanks for all your help, it is hard sometimes to remember that it is a learning “curve”.

However, I only want it to come on when the switch physically turns it on, because I have it isolated in other scenes.