Kasa (TP-LINK) now does IFTTT. Can someone explain what that does for integration with ST/WC?

I have a few TP-LINK wifi plugs. I think they’re HS-100s. The Amazon deal over Christmas is how I got started with automation, but I haven’t tried to integrate them with SmartThings.

I know there are threads out there on how integration could be accomplished, and over time I believe the problem went from crazy kludgey to not all that unreasonable.

With this IFTTT announcement, can someone explain what the steps are now to control my hs-100s via smartthings?

I assume the IFTTT method is now the preferred approach for controlling the hs-100 wifi devices, correct?

Here’s the announcement from tp-link

With Kasa and IFTTT, you can pair services
together and create new experiences,
which are called Applets.

You can choose from Applets that let you
set scenes at certain times, when you
enter an area, or turn lights on and off
with the sunrise or sunset, plus many more.
Sign-up at IFTTT, find and connect with
Kasa to start experiencing new actions.

Log into the API and create virtual switches for each of your TP-Link outlets. Then create an IFTTT applet for each that turns the outlet on when the switch is turned on, and another which turns the outlet off when the switch is turned off. I would avoid using “toggle” with IFTTT, even though it simplifies, because they can get out of sync. The virtual switches can be controlled from both the ST app (they’ll show up under ‘my home/things’) and from pistons (or any ST SmartApp) if you update WebCore to include them as devices.

I would not assume IFTTT to be the preferred method. The ST device handler does a good job, at least for basic on/off.

My impression of IFTTT was that I could tie services together (that is, without a specific applet). I don’t see a Kasa applet that works with SmartThings nor one that just turns things on or off (without other 3rd party events).

So I guess IFTTT won’t let me point at my Kasa and Smarthings services and say “when something happens over there, do something here?”

I tried working with my new virtual devices on the smartthigs side, and I get the error mentioned in this thread: https://community.smartthings.com/t/trying-to-use-ifttt-getting-must-select-a-valid-option-errors/98529

So (if all else fails) I guess the cloud-based device hander mentioned in https://community.smartthings.com/t/how-to-add-your-tp-link-hs-100-wifi-outlets-to-smartthings/70538/45 is the way to go?

No, IFTTT won’t directly let you link Kasa and SmartThings. That’s why I suggested that you create virtual switches in ST. IFTTT can flip the switch based on a Kasa event, then you can have a webcore piston that reacts when the switch is flipped.