Living under the airport flight path?

We live under the approach of the Raleigh-Durham airport. Planes fly over around 2300 feet - we can hear them clearly. Why wouldn’t I want to know what flight it is?

It takes two things.
One, a very simple (and re-usable) piston that takes a text argument and speaks over Alexa Speaks.

Two is a python script that runs on a Raspberry Pi, below.
-Edit the first url boundary box to be the GPS coordinates you care about (it’s a box, so takes 2 lattitude and 2 longitude)
-Edit the second url to be the execute url of your Webcore announcement piston.
-Edit the airport code from RDU to the airport by you
-Edit the three file paths if the script is running from anywhere besides /home/pi/Documents/

Set it up in crontab to run every two minutes. Attached. Oh, and grab the airport-codes.csv from github: https://github.com/datasets/airport-codes/blob/master/data/airport-codes.csv
and put in the same directory as the script.

import json
import requests
import time
import csv

##get flight data for a bounding box over our house in Raleigh
##bounds=north,south,west,east
url = 'https://data-live.flightradar24.com/zones/fcgi/feed.js?bounds=35.9881,35.9116,-78.7739,-78.6480,-78.7739&faa=1&mlat=1&flarm=1&adsb=1&gnd=0&air=1&vehicles=0&estimated=0&gliders=0&stats=0'

s = requests.Session()
s.headers.update({'User-Agent':'Mozilla/5.0','referer':'http://foo.bar.horse:3000/'})
response=s.get(url)

data = json.loads(response.text)

##iterate through results; ignore the full_count and version;
##everything else is a flight; creates a list of lists
flightslist = []

for key in data:
    if key != "full_count" and key != "version":
        value = data[key]
        flightslist.append(value)

##read the translation file to change airport codes to city name
with open("/home/pi/Documents/airports.json", "r") as read_file:
    airportcodes = json.load(read_file)

#load previous flight history into dict
flighthistoryold = {}
with open("/home/pi/Documents/flights.csv") as f:
    for line in f:
        (key, val) = line.split(',')
        flighthistoryold[key] = val.rstrip()
print(flighthistoryold)

#create dict for flights in this current run
flighthistorynew = {}

##iterate through the flights in flight list; items 11-13 are
##airport code from, airport code to, and flight number
for flight in flightslist:
    flightnumber = flight[13]
    airportfrom = flight[11]
    airportto = flight[12]
    ##filter down to just the ones that are commercial and landing at RDU
    if airportto == "RDU" and flightnumber != "" and airportfrom != "":
        #add to flighthistorynew dict so we don't repeat announcements
        flighthistorynew[flightnumber] = time.time()
        #check if this flight number was seen last time
        if flightnumber not in flighthistoryold:
            ##parses the airport translation file down to airport code matching departure
            cityfrom = [x for x in airportcodes if x['iata'] == airportfrom]
            ##there can be only one matching airport code, so grab the city from first record
            cityfrom = cityfrom[0]['city']
            #build the announcement string; listify the stringcolonate flightnumber
            #to pronounce better from Alexa
            announcement = "Here comes flight " + ":".join(flightnumber) + " arriving from " + cityfrom
            print(announcement)
            ##call webCore piston; pass announcement as argument
            url = 'https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/api/token/xxxxxxsmartapps/installations/yyyyyyyyy/execute/:0zzzzzzzzzzz:'
            response=requests.get(url + "?text='" + announcement + "'")

#write out new flights - or lack thereof - into a file
w = csv.writer(open("/home/pi/Documents/flights.csv", "w"))
for key, val in flighthistorynew.items():
    w.writerow([key, val])

End result: around the time I hear a plane flying over, I hear Alexa say something like “Here comes flight C27508 arriving from Wilmington”. Because why the heck wouldn’t I?

Enjoy!

Gauge for Length of Day (showing Solstices & Equinoxes)

I would be curious as to when it will say unidentified plane just went by… :laughing:

Does it also detect Unidentified Flying Objects? :alien:

I KNEW that someone would go there…

If you were in South Florida, I might have asked whether it detected Treetop Flyers

Wow. Endless possibilities with webcore.

I love it…
Now I want to live under an airport approach way:))))

Now I want to live under an airport approach way:))))

No, no you don’t. 66 planes in the last 6 hours have flown over our neighborhood today. (ok, so I am logging those to InfluxDB and dashboarding in Grafana because I log EVERYTHING…)

I will be a teenager and say OMG!!! LOL

That’s a really cool idea for a piston. Now I want to see what kinds of local notifications I can get, lol

Stupid question… does it have to be run on a Raspberry Pi, or is there a chance I could get it going on Linux? I have a lot of things running on Linux VMs in my vSphere system. I’m just not up on it enough to know whether it’s cross-platform enough, or if things would need to be extensively modified to port it from RPi to Linux.

It’s just python 3, ought to run under any other linux just fine. Windows, too, although Windows you’d have to change the format of the airports.json file location.

@milhouse

Re: having it run every two minutes…
Is that just to make sure it stays updated with the latest data (and we can modify that frequency to our liking?)?

Yes, adjust to your liking. Probably based on the size of your GPS box.

Remember it’s point-in-time - what flights are current within the GPS box. So running it less frequently won’t get you a list of what has gone by. And running it more frequently than every minute is probably not very useful (as well as rude to the API providers!).

Yep. Totally makes sense.
Thanks for posting this.

Did your piston identify the low flying military planes on Saturday night and Sunday morning? :wink:

I wish. flightradar24 doesn’t show military craft which is too bad, because some of those were LOUD last night!