My roommate keeps forgetting to closy the balcony door

Hi everyone,

as the title says.

What I have i mind is a piston that starts a timer everytime the door is opened, and then executes the following:

After 15 Minutes, 30, 40, 45, 50, 55 ,60, etc…
Send a voice alert through my samsung speaker that says something along the lines of “Balcony has been left open”. If its night, instead of an audio message, it should send a text to my phone.

All this cycles until the door is eventually closed or a virtual button is pressed (in case I WANT the door to actually stay open).

Has anybody designed something similar? Does my approach make sense or do you have a better idea on how to go about this?

Thanks!

What you are seeking can be accomplished with webcore. However, it may involve using looping code or frequent polling of the balcony door. If you have been using webcore for a while, then you may understand that a piston like that can be frustrating to complete. There are many posts here that address most of the things that you desire in your piston, but I cannot direct you to a particular example. Maybe someone here can. You will probably have to pull together components from several different examples. There are many “garage door” pistons here with similar execution. My suggestion is to start there, put some code together, and post your work here. That will allow all of the very helpful members here to assist you.

One example: Door Left Open Reminder - Configurable by Individual Contact

Nice!

Great, thanks. I will have a look and see if I can adopt it!