No YEAR in restriction?

Hey Peeps,

Out of curiosity, is there a way to set a DATE restriction where you don’t have to enter the year? I want my Xmas piston to only run Nov 25 to Jan 1, no matter what the year.

Suggestions welcomed. :slight_smile:

Light Automation within date range

Rather than using a restriction, you could use an if after the every statement and use

{int(formatDateTime($now, 'MMdd'})) greater than or equal to 1125

If you also want to run it on January first (not sure whether it was inclusive), you would have to add

OR {int(formatDateTime($now, 'MMdd'))} equal to 101

EDIT: you actually can use this in an expression as well - here’s your piston reworked (I used "less than or equal for the January 1st so it is easier to adjust if people want to add a few more days… Also, I don’t have an RGB bulb so it changed that entry to Dimmer 1)

Here’s a similar question, same basic idea as @ahndee’s answer but a bit more readable. Note that with either of these solutions your BETWEEN will need to OR together two conditions like @ahndee showed to handle dates up to Dec 31 and then dates following Jan 1 (reasons described in the other thread).

Eh, not really more readable… the benefit to ahndee’s is that it doesn’t require a BETWEEN at all so you don’t have to worry about representing December 31 and January 1 since the less than or equal takes care of that.

Thanks guys… BOTH are great examples!

I ended up with the following as is looked the cleanest.

You’ll just need OR rather than AND, otherwise you could do one condition for NOT BETWEEN Jan 3 and Nov 24

Oops… you’re right. Nice catch. :wink:

This was timely as I’d rebuilt what I’d had in CoRE in webCoRE and was having some issues. Here’s what I came up with:

Question–the "only while “Home, Evening…” will not trigger when the mode changes, right? e.g. Mode was Away and we return, the mode changes to Evening (or Home).

right, restrictions (only when) do not act as trigger.