Pet Presence with Whistle 3

I’m interested in using my dog’s Whistle 3 to indicate presence to ST. It appears they have an undocumented API. Someone here has been able to query it using php:

Assume this is some sort of REST API. Is this something I could directly setup with WebCoRE, or would I need to run a script on a Pi at an interval and then update WebCoRE with a WebHook?

Any thoughts? Anyone else using Whistle?

I have no experience with Whistle3, but I would probably write something in python on my rp3, have it execute every X minutes, and that script could make a URL call to the piston with whatever $args to update it.
Might have to be considerate of how many API calls you make though, they could be limited.

I know this is an older thread but I just put something similar together and it works pretty well. Whistle sends an e-mail, usually within about 30 seconds of the dog arriving or leaving home. I tag in G-Mail with either an away or home tag based on the title of the e-mail. From there I have an IFTTT trigger that triggers based on that tag and calls a webhook to either announce the dog as home or away.

It’s not the best way but it works. I only see about a 45 to 60 second delay from the time she runs to the time Alexa makes the announcement.

I use whistle. I have cobbled together a bunch of stuff to change colors on my HS-WD200+ switches.

Whistle has an IFTTT channel, but it only alerts on two conditions.
-low battery
-done charging

For the other conditions, I use the gmail IFTTT channel. Set up labels.

-Docked
-Home
-Off
-Out (of Zone)

(Note: I had to set up a google voice account as not all whistle notifications come in email or text.) Here are the label in gmail…

In ST, I have three virtual switches set up for each dog…

Battery_Low/Docked
Battery_Charge/Dead
Home/Away

In IFTTT, I have the applets set up to turn those switches on or off based on the whistle/gmail triggers.

Then, this piston, does all the heavy lifting changing the colors on my LEDs…

This is great. I’ll be setting up the email method for virtual presence later tonight. Still hoping eventually someone with the Groovy know how can write a SmartApp, or at the very least Whistle needs to add Location to the IFTTT channel…

Two other recent examples of direct integrations, one with Home Assistant, so hopefully a seasoned ST dev gets an escape artist dog and gets inspired to pick up a direct integration.

I’ve actually made some good progress on this, and provided the ‘make web request’ feature in CoRE is capable of doing the following, I think at directing integration could be fairly easy.

1. Send POST to https://app.whistle.com/api/login
    with some headers and my username and pass in the body

2. This returns an “auth_token” and “refresh_token”. Store the auth token as a variable.

3. Do a simple GET to https://app.whistle.com/api/pets with the token.

4. From the result, I am just looking to parse one value in a single json key that corresponds to the dog being home or not. If it matches I’ll set a simulated presence sensor as present, if not, not present.

It looks like this will need to be done in an actual SmartApp, since webCoRE doesn’t support passing headers in POST requests.

Well that didn’t take long. I’ve written a basic DTH here that can directly pull presence and battery % into ST. Enjoy.

Wow! I’ll have to look at this.