Piston Catagory

Crap. I think it would have been a two second solution if it was still around.
(although I think any other instance would also work, such as access to a friend’s Dashboard)

The cookie is set at the time of the dropdown switch in your picture above.

I think the goal should be to add another instance below that, then make the switch (there and back, pausing between), and then check your settings. (using a browser that does not have strict cookie rules in place)

I know, a lot of hoops… but it really sounds like a cookie just needs to be set.

I know this is a PITA. I greatly appreciate your help here. Be back in a moment…

I’m also getting this message often…

Some old data may still be lingering in your browser’s cache… On Windows, Ctrl-F5 is one of the first things I do on the Dashboard to clear my browser’s cache (for that page). AKA: a hard refresh

This won’t fix any problems by itself, but it at least gives you a clean slate HTML wise…

Ok, I set up another instance. Switched to it from dropdown box. Switched back, went to settings and checked categories…still the same.

I am so sorry to waste your time. With what I have seen in the past, I really thought that your settings was stuck in a previous instance… instead of the one you were trying to access…

Dumb question, but have you tested in other browsers or on multiple machines (not-work controlled)

Just to clarify… When you checked categories, the list was identical in both??
(every one of mine is very different… This is a HUGE clue)

Installing Chrome now…Nope, the new instance had “Uncategorized” only

This is good, and means that the cookie was successfully set.

Nope. Same situation on new install of Chrome.

I am baffled then… Maybe there is corruption in one of the three companion apps:

pic

Although, I forget which one stores the categories…

I too am baffled. How difficult is it to just remove the webcore instance, re-install, and load my pistons from a backup file?

Depending on the complexity of your house, (and your free time), you can estimate between 2 and 10 days before everything is back to the way it currently is. (although some little things you may not catch for a month)

Uhhhhh, then not an option. Honestly, you and I are spending way to much time on this. It’s only a minor inconvenience. I’ll just assign my new pistons to a category after they are created. Not a real problem. Thanks so much for your help! Should I stumble across a solution, I’ll drop you a note.

I am going to think outside the box here for a second…

In your real instance, what if you created a new category called “Nothing selected”…

Then press Save.

I wonder if that will add it to the list, and be actually usable / editable / movable…
(If so, a day down the road I would try renaming it, to see if the default follows)

Worth as shot…let’s see…

Pro Tip:

I would be tempted to move pistons out of that default folder before running this test… Just in case…

“Nothing selected” when created.

But “Uncategorized” on the Dashboard. “Nothing selected” not present on dashboard after I created it in settings…weird.

OK OK… Let’s take it one step farther… Can you create a category called “Uncategorized”…?

If that one also fails, then my last question of the day is can you create any new categories??