Piston is not repeating or triggering

I wonder why the device list doesn’t work? @WCmore or @Robin you two usually know these things. Any ideas on what the issue would be?

I would suggest using a single device, get the piston working, and then see if adding the additional lights will work.

I tried separate devices and slowly added them back. So this works now but it gives me 4 notifications in a row.

Also I am getting a not found in the push

Piston state: Device ‘1st SYLVANIA BR30 RGBW, 2nd SYLVANIA BR30 RGBW, 3rd SYLVANIA BR30 RGBW and Arabella RGBW was left on for more than 10 minutes @8:27 AM 23-Mar-20 MST’ not found

In piston “7vxg”, your variable {lightOn} is a “device” type…
yet you are trying to write a “string” to it. (line 41)

If I change that to message would that work?

If you change that, the “Set variable” will work… I did not look at anything else.

Thanks. I’m still getting 4 notifications in succession when I just want to have them repeat every 10 minutes until the lights are off.

I apologize, but I reserve looping pistons for clients of mine…

Thanks for the reply

Two things…

1. Why did you define lightOn as a device? Should that be a string variable?
  2. I am a fan of small, task specific pistons. Might you use your piston for an individual light instead of all of the lights together? Yes, you will have 4 small pistons. But they might be easier to debug that way.

1. I think you are right. I didn’t notice i did that.
  2. the three lights are on the same switch ( the fourth is for testing with a light in a different location). But i do get what you are saying though!

Your piston will execute each time one of the devices changes state. So if you have four devices in your IF (your trigger in 7vxg above), then you may get 4 notifications. Each device that changes state may send a notification.

Is that a smart switch? If so, use that as your trigger device and only get a single notification when it is on. If not, and all three lights are smart bulbs (I presume they are), then you can still run 3 separate (but duplicate) pistons, one for each individual light. And use the single light as your trigger in each piston.

Edit : But doing that will send you at least 3 notifications if the 3 lights are controlled by the same switch.

Sorry no the same gang switch on the wall. All three are in my hallway so I want to group them together.