Piston to randomly choose one variable to speak

1) Give a description of the problem
I don’t know if it’s possible to even do this.

2) What is the expected behavior?
What I would like to do is based on a trigger, play one four sayings that I have stored as variables. Basically whenever the trigger happens, randomly choose one variable and play that back.

**4) Post a Green Snapshot of the piston

Easy… just use the random() function in an expression like so:

Man, that is awesome, thank you so much!

I was playing with random() in my Echo Speaks pistons and it doesn’t work well for me. Alexa always says bravo in this expression…

"Its " + @WeatherCondition + " and " + @WeatherTemp + " degrees outside. " + "The garage door is " + [GarageDoor : contact ] + random(" alpha "," bravo ", " charlie ")

I just tried the following and it popped up alpha once, then bravo… so it seemed random:
'My text is ' (text1) + random(" alpha "," bravo ", " charlie ")

That’s weird, in a quick test piston I did it worked great. Should not be different that I was calling defined variables rather than just text.

Thank you, I will do some more experimenting.

Or if you really want no duplication… a little bit more work but I feel satisfied lol

What did you set lastcolor to, or how did you define that?

Nice, thank you!

This is very intriguing to me. At first I couldn’t get it to work, but now I think I got it. Does it look right to you if I wanted to use something like this to randomize speak? Your code just looks so much cleaner and less cluttered then mine. In my instance would the wait command be neccessary?

Wait shouldn’t be necessary and at first glance the piston looks like it would work.