Piston works for a while then stops

1) Give a description of the problem
Piston stops working after a while.

2) What is the expected behaviour?
Piston should work always.

3) What is happening/not happening?
Piston works day or two. Then something happens and 2min timer stops working. After that I need to edit piston (do nothing) and save. Then 2min timer starts working again.

**4) Post a Green Snapshot of the piston![image|45x37]

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
As soon as I get them.

I’m not sure is it more of a design problem. It could be that when mode changes to something else than DAY -> problems start. Not sure is that “the problem” and I really do not know what should I do. Any tips…

Can anyone see obvious design problem in my piston?

Just a quick thought…your piston fires 30 times an hour, 480 times a day. I would consider a less “busy” solution.

I know and I have been thinking it too. I’m just not sure how can I achieve what I need with something lighter and simpler.

Is there a reason why you have to poll every two minutes instead of just running the piston when the door contact changes to closed during the required hours?

I can’t see any obvious reason for the piston to suddenly stop scheduling its next run. Timer events do go missing occasionally but there are usually recovery events when that happens, unless recovery events can’t rescue the every timers.

Can you give us more details on what you are trying to accomplish?

I have a lock which needs to be set to unlock mode so that I can knock on the door and lock opens. If lock is not in unlock stage I need to unlock it via app and then knock on the door -> lock opens.

So now that I have piston which runs every 2 minutes …it is most likely that when I go to the door and just knock it lock opens.

Piston runs only when I’m home and when door is not open. That is all I have figured out to make it more lighter. :frowning:

Wow, not the best security system :slight_smile:
You don’t have a key for this lock?
I presume you do not have presence capabilities on your phone.
I also presume that the lock/sensor only detects vibrations or similar and not the number of knocks.

I do have a key and we do use presence capabilities with Hubitat. Lock detects vibrations and it should be noticing 3 knocks but in real life it’s one kick and that will do. Product is…well…what it is…

It’s not a great solution but it’s our warehouse door and that would be the last door in our home that has no smart lock. Other smart locks are from Yale so they do work differently thank god.

So…I can use still key but it’s not as easy as just walk to the door and kick it. Presence would not help because lock itself does not support presence information. Probably the best solution would be to buy a button near warehouse door and then make a piston where button press would unlock the door. Then kick it and that’s it…

Sounds like a good option.