"Play Track" on Echo Dot Reads Name of MP3 but Fails to Play It

1) Give a description of the problem
“Play Track” on Echo Dot Reads Name of MP3 but Fails to Play It

2) What is the expected behaviour?
Triggering the piston should play the MP3 sound clip.

3) What is happening/not happening?
The Echo Dot is simply announcing the NAME of the MP3 instead. In other words, testing this piston results in the Echo Dot announcing: “Air Raid Siren.”

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the pistonimage

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
7/16/2020, 12:47:20 AM +604ms
+1ms ╔Received event [My home].test = 1594874840604 with a delay of 0ms
+61ms ║RunTime Analysis CS > 14ms > PS > 38ms > PE > 9ms > CE
+63ms ║Runtime (36004 bytes) successfully initialized in 38ms (v0.3.110.20191009) (61ms)
+65ms ║╔Execution stage started
+70ms ║║Cancelling statement #1’s schedules…
+848ms ║║Executed physical command [Echo - Office Echo].playTrack([https://www.mboxdrive.com/Air_Raid_Siren.mp3]) (771ms)
+849ms ║║Executed [Echo - Office Echo].playTrack (773ms)
+851ms ║╚Execution stage complete. (787ms)
+852ms ╚Event processed successfully (852ms)

Additional info from OP:

As I’m a relative n00b to smart home automation, I made this piston as simple as possible just for testing purposes.

1. So far as I’m aware, webCoRe, Echo Speaks, and Smartthings are all installed correctly.

2. The link to the mp3 works and autoplays when visiting the link.

3. Other pistons with this Echo Dot work fine, including “playWeather.”

4. Thus far in my home automation journey, I have not yet needed to purchase an actual smartthings hub. All of my TP-Link switches, my garage opener, etc. have worked without it. Perhaps I’ve run out of rope and this is the issue?

5. Finally, I did a lot of digging, and it seems others may have had the same issue: Play Track is not playing MP3 and Echo dot playing mp3.

I don’t think echo speaks supports playing mp3 clips. At least Amazon hasn’t allowed it yet as far as I know.

Any other way to accomplish this?

I am not sure. I stopped playing mp3 clips when after moving to ES.

This is the method that I use for voice alerts, as well as MP3 or other sound effects playing on my speaker.

It does require Android, and about 30 minutes for the initial setup, but all future additions are very quick and streamlined.

Many thanks. I had seen that thread during my research, but moved passed it – clearly reading it too quickly. If that has the functionality to play my own sound effects/MP3s, that’s just what the doc ordered. I’ll take a closer look. Appreciated.

There’s also this option: https://www.mymediaalexa.com/

If memory serves me right, there is one small addition I should make to that page specifically based on MP3 playing. (IE: the setup for MP3 playback is 99% the same as what you see on that page)

I plan on updating that page for you in the near future, but here is a quick summary:

When I want a voice alert to be Read outloud for me,
my PUSH Notifications begin with pic

When I want a MP3 or other Sound effect to be played,
my PUSH Notifications begin with pic

On my device, Tasker intercepts the Notification, and depending on what the symbol is, either reads it outloud, or plays the appropriate sound.

I chose those symbols because it should be a symbols that we don’t use elsewhere.

My Mnemonic device:

• ® stands for Read outloud
  • § stands for Sounds

Makes sense to me. Question though – if I understand your system, if we pushed a § message, it’d direct a sound be played on your Android device which would play on the attached speaker. It would NOT, however, play anything on the nearby Echo device or anyone other one, correct?

What I’d like to accomplish is a certain unique sound at a certain time on ALL (or a certain group of) Echos. Can I somehow accomplish that using your system?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that your system can (i) can make ANY announcements (independent of Alexa), and (ii) have webCoRE direct Alexa to do anything Alexa can do. But, so far as I’m aware, Alexa/Echo does not allow to playing local music. It seems, then, I would NOT be able to accomplish what I’m trying to do with your system?

The attached speaker can be 25 years old (connected with wires), or as I am doing, a wireless Bluetooth connection to an Alexa.

No to this one. My method goes to one speaker. Although the broadcast command can send voice alerts to all Alexas.

Note: My method can push directly to a stereo receiver, so technically, it can play to multiple speakers with perfect sync… That is, if your sound system can handle it.

Hmmm… maybe I’d be able to use this in CONJUNCTION with WCmore’s system. Push a ® command, directing that "Alexa, ask My Media to play [Unique Sound Effect] on the [Downstairs Group / Everywhere.]

That sounds great, but now that I think about it, I vaguely recall seeing somewhere that Alexa doesn’t have the functionality to play local music in groups/everywhere. Seems to be a limitation on all SONOS / Plex etc implementations. But maybe I’m not right about that.

I think the general concept is, it is very tricky to get all device to sync perfectly when it comes to music. Even a 10ms lag would sound very strange.

While that is true, Echos currently have this functionality when playing any streaming music from Spotify, TuneIn, etc.

So it’s gotta somehow be baked into the cake already. Just currently not available for your own clips/MP3s/anything other than their supported streaming sites.

Here is a silly analogy:

Imagine if you and I bought the same music CD. Now imagine if we each went to a different room, and played the CD from a different device.

Even with a precise countdown, what are the chances that both will play exactly in sync?

I think the best way to truly sync, is to only have a single controller (brains), with many (dumb) speakers attached to it.

In other words, I suspect that Amazon turns their speakers into passive speakers during the multi-room playback. (which translates to us likely needing some kind of “brains” to push custom music to multiple devices)

So, while Amazon took the time to create a “controller” for their approved music services, I doubt they will spend much time creating a controller for custom music (where they do not make any money).

Bummer.

For now what I’ve done is create a simulated contact sensor in ST IDE, and when WC opens the sensor, it triggers a routine in Alexa that plays the closest sounding effect I could find.

(I found that I could not use multiple echo devices to employ the “searchSpotify” function, as it appears to be limited to a single Echo device, which makes sense because while WC can “see” the multi-room groups through ES, it cannot manipulate them.)

Agree, of course.

That could be… but the fact that there are sometimes sync issues suggests that may not be the whole story, but I’m no expert in this area.

Probably correct, but I do hope simply expanding the usability of the devices – offering the ability to play one’s own music – may provide enough of incentive, particularly if competitors do it. We’ll see I guess.

It is a shame, but perhaps this may be their best motivator…

If Amazon is reading this:
For my SmartHome, I am using alternative ways to play my personal MP3s & sound effects…

Knowing there are better choices, how many more Alexa’s do you think I will buy or recommend to clients?