Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

rooms
manager
occupancy
rules
automation

please try with the latest version. the issue should be fixed now.

Works. Now have a simple three rule room - on Occupied; sunset to 10pm; 100% brightness; on, Occupied; 10:01 to sunrise; 30% brightness; on, Vacant; off.

Thanks for all of the hard work.

awesome! thank you.

With the new version, please be carefull when adding new rules. You CAN’T delete these rules. Once you’ve added them, they will stay forever. In ST settings are read only, so we don’t have any way to remove them (yet). It doesn’t really matter but for the OCD people like me, it can be annoying. If you leave everything blank, it wont be shown anymore though.

and if you are non-OCD you can just toggle to disable the rule :wink:

preview of coming changes, was getting tired of changing from the room device to the common devices for the room like motion, contact etc to see their current values. all in one place now :slight_smile:

[DEPRECIATED]....... Post Withdrawn By Author!

heres one scenario i use this for - to turn on my outdoor lights between a time range but only when lux level is low enough. heres the settings for that:

1. define outdoor as a “room”
    1. nothing in motion sensor and dimming settings.
    1. a) in lux and time settings pick a lux sensor and set a lux value. (i use an outdoor lux sensor via smartweather tiles 2.0 and lux value of 10)
    1. b) set turn off last switches to on
    1. create a lighting rule from time sunset to time 10:30 pm and turn on switch as the holiday light switch and save the settings.

thats it. the light will turn on at sunset or after sunset when lux drops to 10. and the lights will turn off at 10:30 pm everyday.

considering adding rules/ranges for dates as well. so you can pick the dates when these rules are run or not. any feedback on this new feature would be very helpful:

• Add date ranges to existing rules
  • Add date ranges to global settings so they work globally for all lighting rules
  • Dont add date to ranges or rules

0 voters

Not both?:grimacing:

well the app would handle that fine but might confuse users if they end up with conflicting dates between the lighting rules and the global settings. :smiley:

Good point.

@Bangali, I’m configuring your app, but I’m a bit confused on two aspects :frowning: I hope you can sort me out.

Settings understanding
After you create a room one of the options is “Lux & Time Settings”. That part is fine, but then when I create a lighting rule I have additional option for Lux and Time. I understand why this is in the lighting rule part, but lost as why its in the Room part and how they interact with each other (if at all). I left my Lux rule part blank and it seemed to inherit from the Room Lux from my initial set of configuring Basically I’m not sure why you use one over the other.

Front Door Scenario
Going back to our previous conversation some weeks ago. My front door has a door sensor. The door leads into a hall which has a motion sensor. My objective is to turn on the hall lights either on motion or door open. I can configure the lights to turn on when motion is detected which is fine, however don’t know how to turn the room to occupied/engaged (still trying to get my head around the engaged concept) when the sensor is opened. Once the sensor has opened, this would of course trigger the lights. One would then close the door but at that stage the motion sensor would in theory be operational.

I just don’t relate to the options available in your app to achieve this objective. From our previous conversation it is possible, I;m just struggling to achieve it.

Thanks

this acts like a global lux setting which is used to turn on or off switches when lux falls or rises above this threshold. in that settings page there is a toggle that enables this. this is useful when doing something like this example i posted above.

https://community.webcore.co/t/rooms-manager-smartapps-and-rooms-occupancy-dth-now-with-support-for-rules/1813/91?u=bangali

in the rules you can use a lux value that is either equal to or lower than this main lux value since higher than the main lux value would result in turning off the switches.

right the motion will take care of setting the hallway to occupied when there is motion and turn on the lights based on the rules.

under engaged setting there is a contact sensor that will turn the room to engaged please specify the contact sensor here. then under the same engaged settings also set the option to check for motion when engaged every X mins. if there is no motion in X minutes after the room turns engaged that will set the room back to vacant and turn off the lights.

does that make sense? if not please dont hesitate to ask more questions or PM me.

@bangali thanks for the information.

In relation to the:-

• Room Lux and Time - the light has now gone on :-), I understand the context on it usage.

• Door Sensor, your explanation makes sense. Question though do you need another lighting rule to turn on the lights, ie an engaged one.

I’ve ran a few tests, but have not yet been successful in keeping the lights on.

Motion sensor in door will activate once you fully enter the room, basically once you go around the door.

Added Door Contact, Set to motion within 20 seconds and do not turn to Vacant after Engaged ie Reset Off
Test 1
Start - Room was vacant and lights were off
Open Door - Checking
Closed Door - Engaged
Inside Room - Checking, then Vacant, whilst motion sensor is active, light off
Open Door - Checking, then Vacant
Close Door - Checking, then Vacant

Added Door Contact, Set to motion within 20 seconds and do turn to Vacant after Engaged ie Reset On
Test 2
Start - Room was vacant and lights were off
Open Door - Occupied
Closed Door - Engaged
Inside Room - Checking, then Vacant, whilst motion sensor is active, light off
Open Door - Checking, then Vacant
Close Door - Checking, then Vacant

I think they are the status’ I saw, I’m looking at my screen and trying to remember what I see and writing at the same time :slight_smile:

awesome.

well you can use the same rule and pick both engaged and occupied state for the rule if the lighting settings are going to be the same.

for both the tests did you have a engaged rule created in the rules?

EDIT: also on the 20 second timeout, how long is the motion timeout for the motion sensors you are using?

I had a separate lighting rule when state was engaged and I ran the same tests without an engaged lighting rule (never thought of combining them), another nugget of gold here :blush:

Its a fiabro sensor , I have it set for about 30 seconds

ok. i will run thru the scenario myself and report back.

Ok I’ll pick it up in the morning as I’m on gmt time :blush:

cool. thanks for all your feedback.

also tagging @johhnwilliam … his TZ might overlap better with yours.

thinking about this a bit, would you please change the 20 seconds timeout to be longer than the fiabro timeout of 30 secs and try again? something like 45 seconds should probably work.